Preeclampsia

Leo_Mumma

Reaction score
Hi Ladies, had my midwife apt today and she was mostly happy but said that my BP was high. She took my BP 4 times, both arms and checked my urine twice. It was 120/80 and on the 26/1/15 it was 118/82 (I was in hospital for monitoring due to torn muscle in chest) I trust her and she's an experienced midwife and she did seem concerned. She made me promise if I had any symptoms at all I would go in to my unit straight away. I'm confused as I didn't think my bp was high.

For those who suffered from preeclampsia, did you have any unusual symptoms or that aren't on the list? Or was it just a feeling? What was your bp?

I'm scared that I'm not going to know as I felt fine this morning.

Um.....I'm confused too. That's not high at all. Did she say what it was all 4 times? I developed pre-e with this last pg, and the day they induced me it was 164/98. It had been going up the few weeks prior.

110/70 is "normal" so, while 120/80 might be slightly elevated, I wouldn't think it would be concerning.

My blood pressure has always been around the 120/80 mark, but a couple of weeks ago it went up to 145/85 and they were concerned. I went for further tests and monitoring but on subsequent visits my blood pressure had gone back down again, so perhaps i was just stressed on the day. It all depends on what your normal blood pressure has been, if your blood pressure is normally a lot lower than 120/80 then i can see why the midwife is concerned but if its always been around that mark then i have no idea!

Was there any protein in your urine? Is your BP normally lower?

Um.....I'm confused too. That's not high at all. Did she say what it was all 4 times? I developed pre-e with this last pg, and the day they induced me it was 164/98. It had been going up the few weeks prior.

110/70 is "normal" so, while 120/80 might be slightly elevated, I wouldn't think it would be concerning.

Did you have any symptoms apart from your bp?

I didn't think it was particularly high either. This is what is making me look out for other symptoms. She just seems so convinced that I should be on high alert! I am overweight but not loads. I'm a size 16/18 UK and 5'5.

My bp has gone from 120/70 at 5 weeks, 12/80 26 weeks, 122/80 17+2 weeks 138/80 28+4 weeks and then 120/80 today. I know its gone up slightly but I've no protein in my urine or any symptoms.

My blood pressure went from 120/80 to 154/94. That wasn't particularly high I don't think (mild hypertension) but because of family history they pulled me in for bloods and amniotic fluid levels. I only have trace protein but being induced tomo (at 35+3 - eek!) because, even though my blood pressure is back down close to normal at 138/83 my bloods have risen and my amniotic fluid is disappearing... somewhere.

Blood pressure alone isn't enough... and yours doesn't seem that high. But they'll want to keep watch.

I have to say (scarily) that I feel fine... so if I wasn't getting extra watches because of prev miscarriages and family history, my issues might have gone unnoticed until baby was in big time distress.

My BP was like 140/90 today and no one said anything to me....but my pressure always seems to be higher at the doctor. I monitor it at home periodically and it's not too high, so I think I just get nervous there.

Yeah that blood pressure is fine. Anything over 140/90 is where they start getting concerned. I was induced for high blood pressure at 39+2 but had no other signs of pre e

That is considered within the healthy range.
To answer your question about symptoms, pre e can be sneaky and range from no noticeable symptoms (besides high BP and protein in urine) to having swelling, rapid weight gain, headaches, epi-gastric pain, sensitivity to light, etc. If you experience any of those symptoms you should go get checked immediately.

Mine was 140/84 on Tues and they said I was borderline for high BP. I had pre-eclampsia last time and I remember laying in the hospital bed and my bottom number was 118. So I wouldn't be too concerned but I mean, it needs to be watched.

That's not actually very high for blood pressure and wouldn't ring any alarm bells to me. What they look for is a diastolic pressure of over 90, as that is considered high. They are less concerned about the systolic number.

In my first pregnancy my BP when up from 120/70 to 138/88 right at the end and I had to take home a blood pressure cuff to monitor it daily and I had a blood test every week. I never developed preeclampsia though, so not sure what caused it.

In this pregnancy my blood pressure has been a lot lower, my reading at 16 weeks was 110/64, so hopefully it doesn't shoot up towards the end again.

I'm confused why she seems so concerned then. I have no history of preeclampsia in my family either.

Thanks for all the replies.. put my mind at rest :)

I'm at risk and my doctor is only looking for blood pressures of 140/90 OR a jump of either number by 15 points as this is a big change. So if I went from fairly consistent 110/70 to 135/85 it's not hit "high rlags" but has moved enough to worry my Dr.

The symptom list I've been given is:
Swelling
lower chest pain (liver area)
Headaches
nausea (which I'm now panicked about as I think ivsncaught a bug but the drs words are ringing in my ears)
And elevated bloodnprblood pressure

Yep 120/80 is what my doctor calls "textbook perfect"

When i had Preeclampsia it began with 130/95 and when they delivered it was 140/112. To be honest they aren't even concerned when my diastolic (bottom) number is at 90. My hospitals official diagnosis for PE is 4 readings of a diastolic ABOVE 95 taken a minimum of 4hrs apart and with proteinuria of a certain level. They do want me in for extra BP checks because it's 90 but even 90 is no where near a diagnosis or introducing meds (not for me anyway)

High blood pressure on its own is just pregnancy induced hypertension anyway. Although your blood pressure isn't high... unless your booking appt pressure was drastically lower... some places get concerned if your systolic raises more than 30 or your diastolic raises more than 15 i think it is. But even this in the majority of medical hospitals do not consider this diagnostic of PE, merely something to be watched. (Although a few might diagnose PE this way if elevated lover enzymes or something else comes into play). My DIA definitely fluctuates 15 points (75-90)

Did you have any symptoms apart from your bp?

I didn't think it was particularly high either. This is what is making me look out for other symptoms. She just seems so convinced that I should be on high alert! I am overweight but not loads. I'm a size 16/18 UK and 5'5.

My bp has gone from 120/70 at 5 weeks, 12/80 26 weeks, 122/80 17+2 weeks 138/80 28+4 weeks and then 120/80 today. I know its gone up slightly but I've no protein in my urine or any symptoms.
I had massive swelling in my legs and feet, but nothing else until it got really high, then headaches. I did have some protein, but not until it was high, and that was on the day they induced me. That was the "final straw" for them to make the decision to induce. It's not unusual for people with high b/p not to have symptoms though. I'm plus size (22 US) and this was my first time dealing with pre-e. 5th baby, 7th pg.

My BP started going up a bit by 36 weeks. They wereat concerned until 39 weeks, when I was 140/90. Even then, they waited to induce until my blood work came back showing signs of pre-e. The day they induced I was 165/105 and my bloods were slightly elevated. I had absolutely no other symptoms and felt great! Induction went textbook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->