Preemie Weaning (again....lol)

AP

Reaction score
Alex's neonatal doctor has advised us to get moving on the weaning. 3 meals a day, include purees of what we're eating, the works.

Alex is loving this, thankfully. But I'm worried about milk intake. She will take about 18oz a day now because shes on 3 meals. Is that ok?

It all just seems so wrong as she's only 6 months corrected, 9 months actual.:shrug:

Matthew has never been a milky baby, his weight has been very slow but steady hovering under the 9th centile. By 9 months he prob only took 16oz or so and his weight has steadily gone up. Maybe slowly start introducing full fat cows milk into her food like in mash etc when cooking? x

Sounds like she's dong well. Molly never seemed to like milk. We struggled to get more than 10oz down her most days! we just make sure she gots lots of cheese and yoghurts as we cant get milk down her x

Take a look at this - sorry its part inverted and overlaid but you can still make most of it out.

its got suggestions as to how to maximise calorie intake - full fat milk, real butter, stirring cream into things.

I'd love to get moving on weaning (Andrew is 7m/4m) but we've gone backwards - he was taking purees a month ago but now is either uninterested or vocally objects to being fed. I'm now going to wait and try BLW with the high-energy milk to supplement the calorie intake.

Thanks ladies, Im finding it distressing :( I mean shes fine, loving it, but i just worry constantly

It is odd the conflicting information you get, we raised concerns to our Paeditrician that Emily was still on stage 1 foods for weaning and refused to progress to anything textured and lumpy. He advised not to rush her, as long as she was taking her milk and gaining weight not to rush her. She is on four bottles and two meals, although recently she is has refused all solids and taken less milk due to having a hacking cough and cold. I am surprised your paeditrician is rushing Alex, although if she is happy then fine. Emily is six months corrected and nine month actual too.

I don't think Paediatricians know what to recommend these days. Mine seems to be of the 6m corrected preference, but we started slowly with Bliss's guidelines (and HV support) at 6m actual.

Just to update - Andrew happily ate carrot & apple puree mix today. So I think its a case that we need to start with basics again. He's taking about 24oz (had to google that, its 700ml) total milk a day.

Ours told us to get a move on too. I think the thinking is, the sooner you get them used to lumps and chewing, the easier they find it to adapt to. It also helps with their speech. But I'd be surprised if a couple of months makes a difference.

I worry about milk intake too. Abby is breastfed and wont take milk from anything other than me. I'm trying to reduce feeds as I'm going back to work, but can't get the milk into her. I tried giving her some in a cup and she gave me a look of "what the fekk do you think you are doing...." I can't use cows milk stuff like cheese and cream etc as we think she has an intolerance. I can't eat them or it makes her sick. I can't use soya as it isn't good for babies under one. I do give her porridge with breastmilk and put some in her food but I need to get a good couple of hundred mls into her as I'm certain she isn't getting enough.

Wow there are so many different Paeditrician opinions around. No wonder we are all using this site to share advice!

Emily has now progressed to Stage 2 - thank god! However, she only likes Ella's food pouches not mummy's cooking - I think she is trying to tell me something.
Plus her milk intake has reduced to 2.5 bottles at 7ozs each so only 17.5 oz in total so not great.

What have you decided SB22, have you increased to 3 meals?

I have got onto 3 meals

In our case it was about trying to find the right routine that would get her to take enough milk too.

We have had to drop to 4 bottles a day - so we go every 4 hours now, like this

8am -Milk
between 8.30-9.30am - Breakfast

12pm - milk
between 12.30-1.30pm - lunch

4pm - milk
between 4.30-5.30 dinner

8pm - milk

The milk feeds dropped in volume to start with. Some of them she was only taking 3oz. I have found though she has increased them again, so perhaps she's learning her new routine and realises she needs more? :shrug:

It seems to work so far? This is all stage 1 food though.

8am -Milk
between 8.30-9.30am - Breakfast

12pm - milk
between 12.30-1.30pm - lunch

4pm - milk
between 4.30-5.30 dinner

8pm - milk

Move everything forward by an hour (so 7am start) and you've got our routine there. At the moment Andrew is having just breakfast and dinner, if he continues his renewed interest in eating then I'll introduce lunch next week to take him up to 3 meals a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->