Preemies and weaning??

DonnaBallona

newlyweds!
Reaction score
i have two people giving me conflicting advice at the mo and im getting so confused...the community nurse from SCBU is telling me that Brooke needs to be weaned early so it will get her to pile on the pounds more.

The Health Visitors at clinic think this is ridiculous and tell me that weaning her will stop her taking even 3oz of milk so i should wait.

Personally, i wanted to try baby-led weaning so was going to wait till 6mo-i dont think she needs food yet-she's not showing any signs of being interested at all!

Brooke is 18 weeks old today but 11 weeks corrected. She currently takes 3oz of milk every 3 hours and sleeps from 8pm-5am most days. She weighs 7lb 14oz :cloud9:

Any thoughts?

tbh from what i've read i wouldnt wean til she reaches atleast 4 months corrected. i can see where the scbu people are coming from in the sense of gaining weight, but your HVs right, it's gone stop her taking as much milk. does she have a consultant? i'd check with them and see what they say. i'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but i'm sure i've read you should go by their corrcted age xx

My son was 7 weeks early and I did not wean him til he was 5 months but that was back before they changed weaning to 6 months.
I would wait, they get plenty of nutrients from there milk, I would listen to the HV. They need there milk when they are babies they won't be able to digest the food properly if you give it too early. My son gained loads of weight with just the milk.
Luv Cheryl xxx

I weaned Molly when she was 17 weeks, 6 weeks corrected, (on advice of SCBU nurse). She has taken to it REALLY well! Now on 3 meals a day and loving it. She is definately putting on more weight and hasnt dropped her milk intake at all. Do what you think is right, you know best as you are her Mummy. Hope you and Brooke are doing well, jealous she is sleeping through the night! xx

I just wanted to say thanks to embojet for her experience as it's helped me. Mine are 13 weeks corrected, 19 weeks actual and they've been dropping their milk intake before I started weaning! Nothing wrong with the boys, they just seemed fed up with formula. Anyway, been giving them baby rice and they seem to be loving it and now taking more of their bottle after a few spoons of rice, despite them slapping the bottle away constantly before rice was offered! I really think mine need to be on solids to keep putting on weight now.

great thread was wondering the same Matthew is now 14 weeks he was 7 weeks early - weighs about 9lb now, the paediatrician consultant says to start weaning at the 4 month period but take it slowly. No idea how to start ie which meal,how much etc also he'll prob only be 10lb or so at the time. Where do u plan on feeding your babies - bouncer chair, bumbo etc? xxx

I know Jacob was only 4 weeks early but I weaned at 5 months I would use her actual age, I have also read lots of conflicting statements on this but I think you will know when she needs weaning and as long as her actual age is over 16 weeks I think you will be fine x

Im honestly not sure so wouldnt like to say, ive seen so much conflicting advice, some say to go in early, others say to hold off because their digestive system develops slower

To think weaning is a minefield anyway, without that added dilemma :hugs:

Im honestly not sure so wouldnt like to say, ive seen so much conflicting advice, some say to go in early, others say to hold off because their digestive system develops slower

To think weaning is a minefield anyway, without that added dilemma :hugs:

ugh, I know :dohh: I dunno if Im coming or going with the whole blimmin' thing!! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->