pregnancy and anti depressants

pixiewicks

Reaction score
Hi,

I am just wondering if anyone can help me. I have been taking antidepressants for a few months now and we are going to try and conceive in june. Does anyone know what we have to do do I have to come off them before i try and conceive or can i continue to take them, I will be going to see my doctor, but thought i would see if anyone has had any experience of it.

Many Thanks

Angela.

It really depends on what you are taking. I was on Welbutrin with my son, and it is generally thought to be safe during pregnancy.

I was on cipalopram which is also seen as safe to take although they say baby may have slight withdrawl from it (i came off mine early in pregnancy so have no experience). They say healthy mum, healthy baby so the benefits out weight any risks associated.

Speak to your doc hun, they will advice you better, good luck.

I stopped when I came off my depo injection as it looks like it was that what caused my depression! Which is now why I hate hormones (non natural ones that is). I just stopped and felt better.

xxx

I believe there are certain ones which are safe to take during pregnancy. I remember a few girls in the pregnancy section were on them xx

Hey there, I am in the same position as you, I am on reboxetine, and have been since december, before that I was on prozac for three weeks with disastrous effects!! I spoke to my doc about TTC, and she was concerned that I should stay on my antidepressants for at least 6 months before coming off them due to chances of relapse. I grudgingly agreed that I would do this, but its now coming up to may, and that makes 5 months so DH and I have decided I will come off my pill at the end of april. It really depends what pills you are on, and whether the risks of coming off them outweigh the risks to the baby. My doc was pretty good and emailed me info about various ones that are thought to be safer in pregnancy- unfortunately mine wasnt on it cos it is such a new one!! The ones that are thought to be safer are prozac and citalopram. Saying this, I really want to come off mine completely because dont like the thought of becoming pregnant on them. I guess we will just TTC in earnest and I will go back to doc again and try and come off them. Good luck

Agree with everyone else that you must speak to your doctor!
I was on Venlafaxine for 6-8 years which apparently is not safe so I qit taking it in January whith quite severe side effects. Now on Prozac which Doc assures me is quite safe as I know I felt I still needed something.

What you taking sweetie?

I have been on citalopram & fluoxetine although I was advised against TTC whilst taking them.

My Dr told me that there is no evidence that they can cause harm during pregnancy, however there is no evidence that they can't ifykwim so it was mroe precautionary :)

I think they try to decide whether the risk of you coming off them is greater than the risk of staying on them.

Your Dr will be able to help you with that :)

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->