Pregnancy and depression.

jennabenna

Reaction score
I am currently almost 6 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child. After I had my 2nd, I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and have been on medication ever since. I haven't gotten to get an appointment with my OBGYN yet, waiting on insurance paperwork...I stopped taking my antidepressant (celexa) and mood stabilizer (epitol) as soon as I saw those 2 pink lines.. I've read lots of information about taking antidepressants while pregnant but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with it. I am nervous to do so, but I can't handle not having something to help with my moods/depression/anxiety and then with the additional hormone and mood swings...it's extra tough.

Thanks in advance!

I never took anti-depressants for my depression or anxiety, I tried to deal with it as naturally and positively as humanely possible. I don't know what medication it was, but my best friend was pregnant at the same time as I was and took anti-depressants. Her son was diagnosed with spina bifuda. I would just triple check with your doc and medicine provider.

I had some major anxiety during my 2nd pregnancy, but I pushed through. (It hit the hardest towards the end so I was able to do so for the last few months). My doctor told me that there was one medication that was FDA approved for pregnancy but that the baby would be born with withdrawals...That BROKE my heart! I hit the point before I was pregnant that I had to get help (medication) and it's been a life saver. I am staying off everything until my doctor gives me the go ahead, but I didn't know if anyone knew anything. thx :)

I know that it can feel overwhelming to trying to go without meds, but I would try to wait as long as possible, definitely past the 1st trimester when most neuro development takes place. The problem is, there is not any real research on whether or not these meds have an affect because there is no ethical way to do large studies. I will tell you, when I found out I was pg with my fourth, I stopped cymbalta cold turkey( not pleasant btw, gives horrible brain "shock" feelings) after he was born, I felt petty good, so I didn't go back on meds. After about 6 months, I had the most horrible panic attack, ended up in the er. They gave me some Ativan, and I went home. I was curious though, why out of the blue like that would I have a panic attack? I started doing research, turns out I'm hypothyroid, which can cause anxieties, depression, all of those "weird" symptoms. Now, everyone is different, but I wonder have u ever been tested for thyroid disease? When my thyroid is under control, I'm about 95% symptom free. The other part is me battling myself. Even though I believe my symptoms have an organic cause, I have years of negative self talk I'm dealing with. Sorry for the book!

After my 2nd, my doctor tested my thyroid before prescribing antidepressants. All was normal, I have had annual check UPS on it since because I was taking lithium for a while but all was fine. I'm sure he woll test again because I don't want to depend on medication...not during pregnancy especially. I am hoping that once I get further into it I will balance out but right now, I can't even deal with myself...cant imagine how those around me feel. :( Thank you for the input though :)

I was on celexa and Wellbutrin with my son until 7 or 8 weeks when I found out I was pregnant. He is a normal healthy 4 year old with nothing that can be attributed to the high doses of antidepressant exposure in early pregnancy. No physical issues, mental delays or impairments, no personality issues, no ADHD or autism, nothing! Don't stress too much about it, you already did the right thing by stopping until you can consult your physician.

I'm on sertraline (Zoloft) and I've been advised not to stop taking it like I abruptly did last time I got pregnant. My midwife says if the benefits outweighs the risks then it's ok. There is no point me stopping taking it now as I've been on it from the start, however I'm on the lowest possible dose. I do worry sometimes but I'm aware the risks are small but I still feel a little uneasy about it tbh but I've heard lots of women being on antidepressants and the baby's are fine. I think I will need to stop them towards 3rd tri as I'm hoping to breast feed.

Heinrude: Thank you. That took a huge weight off my chest lol

Gizzyy: I believe Zoloft is what my OBGYN recommended during my last pregnancy. I have heard as well that if the benefit outweighs the risk, then go for it....and in my opinion if something is going to happen, then that's just how it is...God will see us through it...but I still feel "bad"...like I'm intentionally "possibly" harming my child. But I have been so stressed and upset and it's hard to want to eat and keep myself healthy...so I have to do something to be able to take care of all my children..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->