Pregnant with #1 - Doctor or midwife?

Kirsty3051

Wife & mum of 3!
Reaction score
Hello ladies.

I'm pregnant with our first child and I'm not 100% sure how to get things started. I've done however many Google searches to find out some information before posting on here but everybody seems to have had different experiences. So, does anybody know if I need to book an appointment with my GP to confirm the pregnancy and she'll pass all of my info through to a midwife or do I contact the midwife directly? :coffee:

I arranged an appointment with my GP who then passed our details onto the team at our local hospital in London and about two weeks after that I received my booking appointment letter, 12-week scan appointment and a blood test letter. The doctor really didn't do much but did get the ball rolling...i'd imagine that most people in the UK go down this route in early pregnancy. Congratulations on your :bfp: ! xXx

Okay thank you! Think I'll wait a couple more weeks before booking an appointment with my doctor then as I'm only 6 weeks xx

Why not call your GP surgery and ask? I called receptionist and booked an appt with a midwife for 8 weeks, didn't bother seeing GP as it was planned so already on folic acid, not drinking etc.

As above, I'd just ring your surgery and ask. There should be no need to see a gp unless you're worried about/need help with something. My surgery you just fill out a form and leave it for the midwife and she contacts you, I filled in one at 5.5 weeks and she contacted me the next week wanting to do a home visit at 7.5

I went to ten gp after 6 week scan and then they did the rest. First Booking appointment with midwife was at 10 weeks.

I'm in the middle of changing surgeries after moving to a new area, although I'm probably registered here by now. I'm not in any kind of rush so thought it'd be worth asking. I feel a little like I'm defending myself on forum...? hm

I'm in the middle of changing surgeries after moving to a new area, although I'm probably registered here by now. I'm not in any kind of rush so thought it'd be worth asking. I feel a little like I'm defending myself on forum...? hm

Hey don't feel like that hun, these girls are all lovely. Sometimes words don't come across as they are mean in text.

At 6 weeks you're at about the right time to contact medicals, it's not too early although it feels it.
They normally like to get you booked in about 8 weeks as there are 8-10 week blood tests to get and then the 12 week scan. In my area there can be a huge waiting list to see a midwife who may only do booking appointments on one day per week, and then the scans are also very busy.
I usually phone as soon as I've missed my period.
I call the home birth midwives directly, but in my area the receptionist at the gp surgery gives out the forms and midwives phone number for you to make an appointment with.
The doctor won't do it tell you anything so unless you are on medication that might need changing or adjusting there is no need to go to the gp.
Xx

I rang my gp who prescribed me folic acid over the phone then asked me to come in, we had a lil chat and tried to work out my due date then she referred me over to the hospital who then sent me appointment for booking in apt and my 12 week scan which was shortly followed by the 20 week scan appointment letter, they get booked up really quick so it's best having an appointment in advance x

x

I started out with my OB/GYN but decided I wanted to go with a midwife so I switched over without needing referral. The OB saw me at 6 weeks but I think that's only because I was having a lot of pain otherwise they would have waited until 8 weeks.

The only reason I would call and ask now to make a booking appointment is I feel that midwives book up fast:shrug: I'm not sure about your area but I know out of the midwives DH and I had consultations with they only accepted a certain amount a month so I felt like we needed to choose sooner than later.

I phoned the doctor's surgery who took all my details over the phone to pass onto midwife who will then contact me in a few weeks.

I thought the Dr would call me in to prove it lol.

But after nine positive tests, I guess it's a pretty sure thing!! :cloud9:

Thank you for all your replies. I rang my doctor's surgery this morning and have an appointment later this week. Won't need my pregnancy confirmed but it was suggested I have my blood pressure checked and blood drawn because it's been over 3 years since I last visited a doctor. Seems easy enough! :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->