Prenatal genetic testing?

Loobs

Baking #2!
Reaction score
Wasn't really too sure where to post this, but decided to go here :wacko: If it should be somewhere else, let me know.

My OH has a family history of cystic fibrosis - 2 first cousins. One died at age 19 while on the lung transplant waiting list, and the other is 8 years post successful transplant.

Reading online, it looks like there is a 1 in 4 chance my OH is a carrier. I don't have any family history that I know of.

Had anyone undergone prenatal genetic testing? Would this be something that would be provided on the NHS?

Thanks

X

I'm not sure if the test for this condition is provided on the nhs but your local hospatl should have a genetics dept that would be able to discuss it with you. We consulted with a local geneticist after DD was given her diagnosis. We have been told if we ant to have another child hat they will provide testing for us prenatally to check for DD's condition.

They said that even if we wanted to discuss things before TCing just to get in touch with them and thy would be happy to talk things over with us. Sorry no other advice

No, that advice is great, thanks. Just wasn't sure where best to get the information from. Sometimes GPs are just too "general" to be experts in things like this!

Don't think my title is very accurate actually - I want OH (and me if necessary) genetically tested, not embryos.

Anyways, thanks for your reply, its much appreciated. Suppose it's just nice to share my thoughts! Your kids are beautiful :) x

yes its available on nhs hunni ask to be refered to a genasatist we were referedas my hubby and son had eds x

Don't think my title is very accurate actually - I want OH (and me if necessary) genetically tested, not embryos.

My Dr called it preconception genetic testing. I'm part of a high risk group so there was no question I wanted to know. Luckily everything came back clean.

Good luck to you!

Thanks for your replies ladies! Have made an appointment with my GP to discuss it in January. Thanks again :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->