Prenatal Vitamins?

babygirl02201

Reaction score
There wasn't anything I hated more than the white pill prenatal vitamins. I switched to the Flintstone Gummi bears and I eventually went back to another pill version. I stopped taking any of them these last few weeks because I felt they all were making me sick. Will not taking them cause health problems or deformities for my child?

I've heard plenty of sources saying the most vital time is in the first trimester - some people stop taking anything completely after that. I've had about a month or so now that I haven't taken prenatals... I've focused on my diet and I had to start taking 5 vitamin d tablets a day due to a deficiency (despite the prenatals) so by the time I'd taken them every day I felt too ick to also take big prenatals. I had a blood test the other day and everything is perfect... I think it's personal preference. Of course it's beneficial to be taking vitamins but not doing it for some period of time - especially in the 3rd trimester - won't hurt :)

I couldn't even take my vitamins in first trimester as I was so sick - couldn't swallow water never mind massive pills. Think I took them for about 4 weeks before the hg came along. Only started taking them again recently and I'm
Now 15 weeks. U will be surprised how many nutrients can be absorbed through food to baby. My midwife didn't seem at all concerned - main priority was to eat food before anything else. x

With my first pregnancy, my OB told me that your body doesn't even really absorb the vitamins well anyway. Lol. I took them until about mid-way through the second trimester and then stopped because they were bringing my nausea back! Anyway, same thing happened with this pregnancy. I should mention that my daughter is perfectly healthy and wonderful. I think the first trimester is the time when they can do the most good, but honestly, pregnancy research is constantly evolving and women have had babies without them for centuries :)

Whenever I get myself worked up about whether I've been healthy enough for the baby this pregnancy, I try to remember that my grandmother smoked like a freight train (and drank occasionally!) with all her kids. They all came out fine. (Not that I'm advocating for smoking and drinking during pregnancy, just that there was a time before we knew the potential consequences and most babies were still generally ok).

I take them all through pregnancy, I take a normal Womens multivitamin when I'm not pregnant aswell.

I just ran out and I'm not in a hurry to buy more nor concerned. I have my iron and vitamin d3 supplements so I make sure to take those since I'm anemic and midwife thinks I need extra vitamin d but otherwise, I think it will be OK. I've taken prenatals this entire pregnancy so far which honestly was better than with my other two. It was difficult with them when they made me feel so sick and then I'd forget a lot. I will likely get more later since I'll be breastfeeding anyway but it might not be for a few weeks. :)

This pregnancy I have discovered a raw organic prenatal made from whole foods by garden of life. They are expensive but for me they have been worth it. They are much better than those little white pills. I have gotten less sick this pregnancy especially over winter when dd brings home many bugs from daycare.
Like pp posters said the first trimester is the most important and after that if you are eating well your baby will get lots of nutrients from your food.
I have an aversion to anything green whilst pregnant so I've continued to take my prenatal and as I have found them so good I'll take them whilst bf too.

Much better to try to eat a good diet. Most pills don't get well sbsorbed anyway. Your bubs will be fine but it is important to make sure you are eating enough iron rich foods.

This pregnancy I have discovered a raw organic prenatal made from whole foods by garden of life. They are expensive but for me they have been worth it. They are much better than those little white pills. I have gotten less sick this pregnancy especially over winter when dd brings home many bugs from daycare.
Like pp posters said the first trimester is the most important and after that if you are eating well your baby will get lots of nutrients from your food.
I have an aversion to anything green whilst pregnant so I've continued to take my prenatal and as I have found them so good I'll take them whilst bf too.

I take these vitamins as well. I love them! I'm concerned about my iron levels during the last trimester, so I take my prenatals religiously!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->