Private renting - getting out of contract early

happymummax

Reaction score
Has any body got any experience of getting out of your contract early if you privately rent?

I moved in here in march on a 6 month contract, from day 1 I've had issues:

When I moved in whilst the estate agent was there the window in my bedroom broke, it's now slightly open all the time so drafty.

The carpets filthy I've shampooed it numerous times but nothing works - I was told they'd put a new one in before I moved in

The washing machine is broken and hard wired into the wall, I bought a new one but there's no socket for me to plug it into (land lord needs to get an electrician to put a socket in) and my £300 washing machine is just sat in the shed

There's mould in the bedrooms, I try spraying it with mould and mildew stuff but it keeps coming back

The bathroom is falling apart and is really rusty, was told they'd put a new one in.

I go into the estate agents all the time, they keep saying they've spoken to the landlord Nd he'll be in touch, I know for a fact the land lord has got the messages as I know his wife and she told me the estate agent had left a load of messages on their answer phone.

The house is really starting to affect my mental health I'm so depressed here and I've got an appointment thurs to talk about this with my gp.

I've found a lovely house that's ready to move into in July, but ill still have a few months on my Tennancy here and I can't afford the 2 properties at once, would I be able to get out of my contract early, the estate agents/land lords haven't done what they said they would in regards to the state of the house?

Sorry for waffling on and if there's loads of typos I'm using my mobile to post xx

We got out of ours a few years ago. We got trading standards round. The mould was effecting our health too. trading standards told the landlord xy and z needs fixing. We to,d the estate agents we wanted to be re housed until the work was Compleate or to end the contract early. They picked the later. Our estate agents where so rude! I couldn't believe it.

Put in writing and ask - you can only try

Who manages the property the agent or do you speak to your ll directly ?

The property's managed by the agent, I don't even have the landlords number.

I don't want to hand any form of notice in until Ive got somewhere to go.

I'm going info the agents on Thursday with my mum who's my guarantor :) xx

We got out of ours a few years ago. We got trading standards round. The mould was effecting our health too. trading standards told the landlord xy and z needs fixing. We to,d the estate agents we wanted to be re housed until the work was Compleate or to end the contract early. They picked the later. Our estate agents where so rude! I couldn't believe it.

Did you lose your deposit? Although the house was repulsive when I moved in I'm sure they'll try and pin some of it on me :/ my agents are fairly rude as well, terrible at returning calls and they make out that I expect the house to be like Buckingham palace everytime I tell them a problem, when I don't I just want a house that I can safely live in and do my own washing :/ xx

Where are you based ? There is a company that does a free assement on the mould its called kenwood damp proofing they will advise if its damp or condensation - it mayfield you more of a stick to poke them with

Where are you based ? There is a company that does a free assement on the mould its called kenwood damp proofing they will advise if its dampn

Shrewsbury (Shropshire) I'll google them thanks :) xx

Unless you can prove they're in breach of contract you'll probably have to pay rent for the rest of the term. We did manage it by helping them move someone in superquick when we moved out - we too had a problem with mould. We had the council health chappy round to check it but he said it wasn't enough to be a problem, so the landlords weren't technically in breach of contract.
Definitely check CAB out, they're very friendly and helpful :)

^^ what pp said - that's why I suggested a report done to see if its condensation or damp , the property would have to be uninhabitable/or the landlords in breach to allow early release - but some landlords will allow it anyway if try can find a new tenant

Did you lose your deposit? Although the house was repulsive when I moved in I'm sure they'll try and pin some of it on me :/ my agents are fairly rude as well, terrible at returning calls and they make out that I expect the house to be like Buckingham palace everytime I tell them a problem, when I don't I just want a house that I can safely live in and do my own washing :/ xx

Your deposit should be held with a deposit protection scheme. Have you got a copy of the certificate?

Also, when you moved in was an innovatory stating clearly the condition completed with you and signed by you and the the letting agent? As long as the property is returned in the same condition it was given to you in they are not allowed to take any money from it.

Put all problems with the property you need rectified IN WRITING with a notice of 14 days to action. In the mean time speak to environmental health about the mould. You need to find out if its structural damage that's causing it or not.

I strongly suggest you speak to Shelter (they are busy so you may have to wait) and post your problem here:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16

There are some brilliant members here who are very clued up on these matters and can advise you regarding your tenancy. There are possible avenues to take, some of which could cost you, for example, being liable for paying for re-advertising the property, rent until someone is found if you move out sooner etc.

And lastly - do not, under any circumstances, with hold your rent!

Good luck! X

Yes we did. We cleaned the house before we left. The house was not in the state we had agreed too. Call in trading standards. They will help you x

Report the property to the emvironmental health - they will come round and do a total assessment of your property and insist the landlord makes the repairs. If the landlord refuses they will do them and bill the landlord - simples :)

This tells you how to do it

https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_..._private_lets/contacting_environmental_health

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->