• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Prob been asked a thousand times but how to potty train with global development delay

smurff

Mummy to Emily and Harry
Reaction score
Hi my DD is 3 and a half, she has global development delay and poss learning difficulties. We've been trying to potty train for a few years now but still no luck. It's hard to explain things to her as she's only just started saying words so not sure what she understands, treats doesnt work, doing a reward chart doesn't either. She's had a plain potty, a potty in the shape of a little toilet that talk's, she has a child seat on the main toilet to but doesn't like any of them. We've tried going cold turkey but all she'll do is hide and pee on the floor. We can't leave a nappy off cause she constantly holds herself. Yesterday I took a nappy off at 8:30 and she was still holding herself 3pm so we had to put nappy on. Really don't know what's left to try

Such a hard one.. My son personally was nearly 4 when he finally potty trained he also had very little understanding and at the time very little speech (he has ADHD: asd ) I tried everything like you then decided to stop trying at all and just before his 4th birthday he decided to do it by himself I always had the potty on show so he could get used to it and it wasn't "a horrible thing" he was dry day and night within a week once it was on his terms ... Sometimes children with extra needs just need to do things on their terms no amount of pushing will make them do it... maybe just ask once or twice a day eventually you DD will get there ... Good luck 😊

I probably would leave it for a bit and try again later. I know both my daughters were funny about pottys and every time it came to this we just left it and came back to it a few weeks later.

DD1 (ASD) couldnt talk but at 4.5yrs she managed to get the whole toileting thing thanks to a visual story nursery gave us. Each page simply showed each step of going to the toilet, in PECS/Boardmaker style.

We also always left her toilet in the bathroom for a year (!) and invited her to sit down on hers when we went.

Really, it was about when they were ready to do that. You can encourage, but unless they want to, it's not worth pushing it. Like Lullie says, leave it on their terms. :)

And DONT let anyone tell you otherwise!

Thomas has GDD. He is 4 and not potty trained. He started showing some signs around Halloween so from wednesday last week to sunday we and his teacher decided to give it a go. I've stopped it now as really it is obvious he still isn't ready. In 5 days he didn't poo or pee On the toilet once. He kept holding himself (which is good) until he was out of sight and kept getting upset On the toilet or wouldn't go near it. He is constipated too which we struggle to keep On top of (movicol and lactugal).

Ah thanks everyone, I know once my dd does it once then that will be it she'll be fine and will carry on doing it, it's just getting her to do it that once. Think I'll leave her alone for a while and like some of your advice, I'll just let her do it when she's ready. She's really stubborn aswell (just like me) and if she's told to do something she won't but if she's left to it she'll eventually do it. Thanks everyone x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->