Probably a daft question!

emilyp83

Reaction score
All the time in Scbu we only ever top and tailed Louie with cotton wool and water. So that's what I've been doing since bringing him home. His skin is now going all flaky and my OH says we should give him a bath and put some johnsons or something on his skin. He's still not up to his due date yet so I'm still massively cautious about doing anything with him! When do people suggest putting him in the bath and what products should I be using????

I gave my lo a bath in scbu using Johnson baby bath. I was told to only bath her once a week initially as their skin is sensitive so I done this until she was about 3 months corrected. I know some have gave their lo's baths every night from the beginning as well so do what you feel best.

If his skin is really dry in areas get some aqueous cream. The consultant told me they are all the same so get the cheapest one.

I also give my lo baby massage using bells coconut oil which is lovely for her skin. They also used it in our neonatal.

My baby wasnt premature overdue infact but he was born with really dry and flakey skin the thing i have found the best is the boots sensitive bubble bath just a tiny bit and olive oil...the little bottles you buy from chemist...works great far better than any creams and stuff as replaces oils in there skin i found baby oil dried it out more and MV advised to use this. His skin is fine now but still use once a day after a bath and he has the softest skin ever! x

We bought coconut oil too, even although we used a bit of johnsons in neonatal, continued use of it made alexs whole body develop a rash.
A huge tub costs about a fiver and lasts months, we put it in the bath too. We do use detinox shampoo though, and huggies pure wipes, but they are the only products we use. I dunno if her skin sensitibity is due to being prem but thats how we do it

Neonatal didn't let us give Sophie her first bath till she was about a week and a half before her due date. Up till then she'd just been topped and tailed.

They used Johnsons baby bath in her bath and we used that after we got her home but we did find it dried her skin out - she has very very dry skin on her legs now. We get the moisturising ones now.

We were never told to bath her just once a week which is strange as we were in the same unit as 25 weeker's LO.

We have been using the coconut oil too and we just got a tube of that Johnsons naturals stuff (can't remember the exact name but it's in a green tube, and comes in a tub as well) and it's brilliant - sorted the dry skin out after the first application. She doesn't seem to have a particularly sensitive skin but it's definitely very dry.

xxxxxxx

We bought coconut oil too, even although we used a bit of johnsons in neonatal, continued use of it made alexs whole body develop a rash.
A huge tub costs about a fiver and lasts months, we put it in the bath too. We do use detinox shampoo though, and huggies pure wipes, but they are the only products we use. I dunno if her skin sensitibity is due to being prem but thats how we do it

Where can you buy the coconut oil? Does boots have it? We are still on the tub that Sophie had in neonatal. xx

Just ask in a chemist at boots hun, they order a tub for us and it comes next day or two. Alexs skin has come dry again so we put a touch in the bath when its warm. Good for cradle cap too. The tub is aboyt the size of a massive sudocrem lol

Right this bloody predictive text does my nut in! Sorry emily!

Hey dunno if i'll be much help but we started off bathing Ella in the unit whenever it was suitable (approx x1 weekly) this increased through time and by the date we left she was being bathed every second day although i was told initially to bath her daily. I decided against this as didn't feel she needed bathed daily. So now that we're home we still bath every second day, top and tail daily, still use cotton wool (although use huggies wipes when out and about) and for in her bath i use Johnsons Bedtime Bath. I only put a spot of this in though after i've washed her hair and face.

I think generally try different things and see what you and you're LO is comfortable/agree's with. Happy splashing :happydance:

If your LO has dry skin, avoid any of the "bubble bath" type lotions. Johnsons in particular can be pretty bad. Every one of them dried out Abby's skin.

We used to use oilatum. It is a paraffin based bath oil which, apparently, are about the only ones which are proven not to contribute to execma. If you go along to your GP you can get it on prescription as it can be quite pricey. You will also get a similar one through the Minor Ailments scheme. They do a cream too and it is the only one which sorts out Abby's skin. We stopped using the bath stuff as by the time she was sitting up, the dry skin bits were rarely in the water!

To be honest, the best thing you can use for bathing is plain old water. Follow up with the cream afterwards if there is dry skin.

We were using johnsons top to toe but HV told us not to - just to use water. For dry skin we use coconut oil as that what they used at NICU, we still have some we brought home with them

i know cam technically isnt a preemie but i take him in the bath with me every second day. we use infacare and it is great :) i found johnsons dried his skin out. cam hates his own bath but loves being with me :) he didnt get a bath in icu but got a very very quick one once up in the ward xxx

Andrew had his first bath in NICU about two weeks before he was discharged, he was then bathed every 3/4 days until discharge.

I'm a bad Mum, I only bathed him once a week, he got top-and-tailed between times. It's not as if babies get really mucky, is it? :blush: I must say, he didn't like baths until he was old enough to sit up in them, he much preferred being carried by me into the shower!

Andrew had his first bath in NICU about two weeks before he was discharged, he was then bathed every 3/4 days until discharge.

I'm a bad Mum, I only bathed him once a week, he got top-and-tailed between times. It's not as if babies get really mucky, is it? :blush: I must say, he didn't like baths until he was old enough to sit up in them, he much preferred being carried by me into the shower!

The only reason we did a nightly bath, was to instill a bedtime routine. It was about the only bit of good advice our HV gave us!

My Michael got his first bath @ 35 weeks and they used johnson baby body wash and shampoo

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->