Problems with finger foods

Foogirl

Baby Abby 11 weeks early
Reaction score
Ok, so we were having trouble with Abby not eating her pureed veg and some helpful ladies here said to try finger foods.

So, I dutifully steamed some broccoli and cauliflower til it was soft and she picked it up and chewed.....and gagged and coughed and blaaarged.

Is this a usual response? What do I do?

She's been fine with toast and stuff so far.

I'd say just persevere for a bit and maybe try different veg? Sweet potato wedges go down very well here.

If shes never had something like that before she's probably not used to the feeling of it in her mouth. I found my LO did this the first couple of weeks we did BLW when he was getting used to different textures. He sometimes still does it if he pushes something in too far, or bites off a massive chunk. Its a natural way of them getting the food out of their mouth if its too big to swallow. I find courgette sticks and roast parsnips are good because you don't get the big chunks coming off like carrot sticks.

I do worry about the biting off of large chunks.

Also, when she eats toast, she sucks and sucks and bites at it, without chewing the mouthful she's got, should I take it from her until she finishes her mouthful, or just leave her to it?

I'd just leave her to it, just watch her!
Sometimes my LO will have food in his mouth, food in both hands and tries to shove both bits in!!! You'll see her push food out of her mouth if its too big.
Always keep an eye on her storing food in her mouth!
My LO was hiding a piece of courgette in the roof of his mouth ontime, and I made him sit in his highchair until he moved it! I wouldn't have risked putting him down and it dislodging.

Yeah I think you have to let her learn to deal with the food herself. If she bites off a piece that is too big, it will fall out of her mouth. Ruby is pretty good at not over filling her mouth but with toast she does still sometimes bite off too big a piece, and then it falls back out.

As Lu says, maybe try sweet potato wedges? They go nice and soft and easy for them to manage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->