"Pull-Out" method

rocko

Reaction score
I recently found out that it's considered as effective as condoms according to Planned Parent Hood! :shrug: What is everyone's thoughts? I always heard that the pre-ejaculatory fluid contained some semen and therefore there was some chance of pregnancy... Was that just a ploy in the teen mags I read growing up to scare young ladies into Safe Sex since pregnancy WAS a deterrent (not so sure it's considered the same way judging by the rate of teen pregnancy these days)

So for all of last year I had my hopes up that I might get pregnant since I thought it was a high pregnancy rate BC and my hubs and I were using it in the middle of the month, roughly CD's 10- 22 ish (I was ready for a baby and figured if hubs was ok with the odds, I wouldn't complain!:winkwink:).

Either way, the method worked for us and we're now passively TTC (he's NTNP & I'm checking CM/CP and initiating sex way more often (he's not complaining!!)):blush:

I'm not convinced it is as effective as condoms, I'm sure I'll find some research somewhere to back it up.
Edit
WOW, after a look at the research and tracing back the sources used, I am so surprised.
The 18.4% typical fail in the first year for withdrawal I expected thereabouts, but never imagined the typical failure rate for male condoms was so high at 17%!

PS the sperm that is referred to in the pre fluid I gather are those left from previous ejacuation. So if you are a young horny devil of a man whos at it several times a night then prehaps.

Still can't get over the high rate of condom use failure though

I recently found out that it's considered as effective as condoms according to Planned Parent Hood! :shrug: What is everyone's thoughts? I always heard that the pre-ejaculatory fluid contained some semen and therefore there was some chance of pregnancy... Was that just a ploy in the teen mags I read growing up to scare young ladies into Safe Sex since pregnancy WAS a deterrent (not so sure it's considered the same way judging by the rate of teen pregnancy these days)

So for all of last year I had my hopes up that I might get pregnant since I thought it was a high pregnancy rate BC and my hubs and I were using it in the middle of the month, roughly CD's 10- 22 ish (I was ready for a baby and figured if hubs was ok with the odds, I wouldn't complain!:winkwink:).

Either way, the method worked for us and we're now passively TTC (he's NTNP & I'm checking CM/CP and initiating sex way more often (he's not complaining!!)):blush:

Oh it's hogwash. The pre-ejaculatory fluid doesn't contain sperm - if it does, it might have like 3 sperm MAYBE. Those suckers don't stand a chance in the fallopian tube maze of finding an egg. That's why 2million sperm are needed - most die very fast!

So the pull out method is pretty safe, actually. Unless your guy is lazy and doesn't pull out fast enough, of course. That's the only problem I can see with it.

ETA: I don't think it's a great idea to tell teenagers this, however - just think of teenage guys and assess their probable ability to "pull out" in time. Yeah, teenage boys are less likely to be responsible and pull out before ejaculating at least a little bit. So that's why I think teenagers are told that the pull-out method is a bad idea. And I agree.

Hey there! :) first of all, how are you? Secondly, Im right there with ya.. DH and i are passivley ttc as well, but will be ttc fully sometime in Oct. The wait will KILL me lol. Im due for AF in 3 days, we have litterally BD'd every night this momth (tmi). I have been having some wierd symptoms that i'd like to share with you. Cant remember what day specifically they happened though. I have been dreaming very vividly, one dream i remember particually well was, long story short, in the dream i was in labor, about to have a water birth in a swimmimg pool at the ER, and the doctor told me i had to wait because i was 18th in line. So i walked inside and tried to get someone to help me bc the baby was COMING, and found my grampa on the floor dying... :( wierd dream that scared me lol. Now, symptoms that ive been having is extreme thirst, hunger pains at 5 am where i have to eat something or i cant fall back asleep, cramps that stopped around 6 dpo, slight nausea when im hungry, mood swings, increased libido, and lack of pms symptoms.. Which is not normal for me.. What cycle day are you on and how do u feel? It would be nice to meet someone who is going thru the same thing as me! :)

I think the resulting pregnancies from the withdrawal method are due to human timing, not sperm in the pre-ejaculate.
But yeh!
That was a sneaky ploy to employ!

Without asking too many details, my friend got pregnant while practising the pull out method. I didnt ask if he maybe didnt pull out soon enough though

lol, you ladies cracked me up. My hubs was VERY good about timing.. I guess he didn't want a baby! Maybe I should have been a little more aggressive in the sack :devil: hehe Just kidding!!
Often times when I hear about people using the pull-out method, it's alongside variations of the rhythm method, which I'm guessing leads to many of those 18% "surprise blessings" as my MIL puts it. The rhythm method makes sense on a calendar, but doesn't take into account all of the curve-balls our bodies like to throw at us. I know my body sneaks in some early O's on occasion! All it would take is one long-distance swimmer... :spermy:

@TtcfirstDD - Hubby and I just started in January, so we're pretty new at this. I don't think he'd actively try unless it came to the point of making an appointment with the DR. Very much of a "If it's meant to be it will happen" kinda guy. Unlike his overly excited wife who can't stop thinking about things ;) I guess that's why I like getting on here- gives me somewhere to talk about it and know everyone is just as hyped up as me :thumbup:

You're lucky 3 days left in your 2ww!!! And symptoms seem pretty promising! I'm still pretty early on- CD 9(?) 4 days or so til I O. Over the last couple months I symptom spotted and nearly drove myself crazy, but through it I've learned what my PMS symptoms are better than ever... and how they mimic pregnancy symptoms. :dohh: and it seems every month there is a new symptom that I've never noticed before. probably used oh, 6 tests each month so far...

I'm feeling good about this month. Third times a charm, don't they say? On the flip side, if it doesn't happen we have a business trip & my Bday in MAY so there's something to fall back on if it's a no-go this month.

Without asking too many details, my friend got pregnant while practising the pull out method. I didnt ask if he maybe didnt pull out soon enough though

Hmm. I guess it depends all on when the guy "pulls out"?

Well, Wikipedia has some stuff to say about it:

"Pre-ejaculate (also known as pre-ejaculatory fluid, preseminal fluid, or Cowper's fluid, and colloquially as pre-cum) is the clear, colorless, viscous fluid that emits from the urethra of a man's penis when he is sexually aroused. It is similar in composition to semen, but has some significant chemical differences. The presence of sperm in the fluid is debated. Existing research has found none or low levels of sperm in pre-ejaculate, though these existing studies are non-generalizable due to examining small numbers of men. [1][2][3][4] A contrary, yet non-generalizable study found mixed evidence, and individual cases of a high sperm concentration have been recently published.[5] Pre-ejaculate is believed to function as a lubricant and an acid neutralizer. The amount of pre-ejaculate emitted varies widely between individual men. There are some rare cases where men do not pre-ejaculate."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-ejaculate (um, nice pic.....lol)

So it seems like some men do have high concentrations of sperm in pre-ejaculatory fluid. It all depends on the individual. Some men don't produce it at all.

I think Planned Parenthood should read the Wikipedia article and maybe rethink its position....

Interesting!

Now that's interesting... Acid Neutralizers? who'd have thunk it.

And that pic literally made me bust out laughing :haha:

My second was concieved after he pulled out lol :blush:
And not to be graphic it was well before completion:blush:

No reason to be shy about it! :winkwink:
I hoped for a year that would happen to me! but it's all for the best

@rocko- ty for your relpy! I hope this is all of our month! Looking for a mothers day BFP lol. dh and i have been ttc for 1 month now. i just "feel prego" but i have been.having my moments of doubt, in which i just bawl my eyes out lol. We have bd every day this month but im unsure of when i.O'd... Ff says i did on the 14th bit there was no signs on that day but there was just before and after. I guess i am lucky of only having 3 days left but the wait is KILLING me lol. Baby dust to us all! Ill keep updating, hope yall do too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->