Pumping Output

LaraSue

Two furry babies!
Reaction score
I breastfeed but pump also to 1) build supply when I go back to work and 2) I'm in graduate school and my husband needs to feed the baby while I'm in class. I went to a lactation consultant, and, based on baby's weight, I've gotten about 3 oz out of one breast. But, when I pump, I usually only get 1 oz per side. I bought bigger flanges per someone's suggestion (and for my own comfort!) but nothing seemed to change. Any thoughts?

I'll be stalking this thread. I have an Avent manual pump and the most I have ever gotten was 2.5 ounces out of both sides.

That sounds normal. The average woman is able to pump .5-2oz per session. The pump isn't as effective at getting milk as your baby so the output will generally be quite a bit lower compared to how much your baby gets while feeding.

When I was pumping it took multiple sessions to combine enough for one feed.

Oh really? No one has ever mentioned this to me...how annoying. That's a lot of work!!

For me, pumping got a LOT easier over time. I pumped and bottlefed almost exclusively during the first couple of weeks and I felt like i was attached to my pump 24/7. I was so happy to get 1-2 oz after 20 minutes of pumping. Now, (almost 4 months later) when i am away at work and pumping in place of a feed, I am able to get a LOT more. Anywhere between 5 and 7oz in 15 minutes. I've heard your body begins to respond better to the pump once you get used to it.

It's also really important to be as relaxed as possible while you are pumping and try not to watch the pump. I started putting a blanket over myself so i couldn't see and stress over how much i was pumping and that really helps. People say that thinking of your baby or looking at pictures etc helps encourage a let down. I'm not sure if this is true, but it's something to keep in mind.

For me, pumping got a LOT easier over time. I pumped and bottlefed almost exclusively during the first couple of weeks and I felt like i was attached to my pump 24/7. I was so happy to get 1-2 oz after 20 minutes of pumping. Now, (almost 4 months later) when i am away at work and pumping in place of a feed, I am able to get a LOT more. Anywhere between 5 and 7oz in 15 minutes. I've heard your body begins to respond better to the pump once you get used to it.

It's also really important to be as relaxed as possible while you are pumping and try not to watch the pump. I started putting a blanket over myself so i couldn't see and stress over how much i was pumping and that really helps. People say that thinking of your baby or looking at pictures etc helps encourage a let down. I'm not sure if this is true, but it's something to keep in mind.

How did you get it to that amount? Very impressive, I'm 8 months in and still only get 1.5-2oz per session so DD only gets 1 or 2 bottles of BM per day. Would love to get more.

How did you get it to that amount? Very impressive, I'm 8 months in and still only get 1.5-2oz per session so DD only gets 1 or 2 bottles of BM per day. Would love to get more.

hmmm. What kind of pump do you use? I noticed that when i switched from a single to a double electric pump my milk began "letting down" much quicker and sometimes it happens twice in a pump session.

If you can, maybe pump a little longer each time. Wait for the flow to stop, then keep pumping for another 5 minutes or so to tell your body that it needs to make more milk. Over time, this should increase your supply and make it easier to pump.

And seriously, relaxing is super important. There have been a few days when i am at work and go 4 hours before pumping and still only get an oz or two. I just can't get out of the stressed "work mindset" and focus on pumping. Sometimes is is hard, but try to clear your mind.

EDIT...Also, keep in mind, I nurse full time and often go 4 hours between pumping sessions when my son eats every 2-3 hours most of the time. So, my output may sound like a lot, but it really isn't. it's just as much as my baby usually eats.

^^ Yes, that's a good point. If you're away and not feeding your LO then you'll be able to pump more because it's like you've skipped a feed (or two, or however many).

Yeah, i guess i should have been specific. lol. when i pump between feeds (if i want to have extra milk to stash away) i'm lucky to get 2-3oz.

I pump exclusively and for the first few weeks I'd only get around 1oz per breast. I stuck to a schedule of pumping every 3 hours and gradually it increased to where I'd pump 2.5oz per breast. I've dropped some pumping sessions now and pump 4 times per day, every 5 hours (getting around 8oz total each time) and I get at least 15oz from my morning pumping session. I use a double electric :)

I'm renting a Medela Symphony. I pump 6 times a day for around half an hour. DD was prem so obsessed with numbers for gain so she's not been on the breast much. I e been trying her again recently but I think she's forgotten how as she clamps her jaws shut on my nipple (ouch), thought if I could get her on for a bit it'd stimulate me to produce more. I plan to keep at it as even if I only get 10oz a day in her it's better than none. :)

I started pumping a couple of weeks ago as lo was refusing to feed. I would only get a max of 1oz total. After I used the pump I would then hand express the rest until the breast was really empty. Now I'm getting 4-5oz.

The average pumping session normally only produces .5-2oz of milk per session. Its actually pretty rare to pump more than that once your milk has regulated. Some people even stop responding to pumps.

Some things people find that help when pumping and can occasionally bring on a little more production while pumping is warm wash cloth on your breast, massaging the breast downwards towards the flange as you pump. Pumping one side while the baby nurses the other (easier with a younger childer/infant). Also pumping in the morning before your baby nurses.

Thanks all! It has started to increase since I posted this, I'm getting about an extra bottle per day now. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->