Pumping query

mary81

Reaction score
Hi, my little girl is nearly 4 weeks old. I would at some point in the future like her to take a bottle of ebm, so today tried to express, and I could only get 1/2oz!! This is really not very much lol. With my first I mixed fed with formula, ebm and some breadtfeeding and always got much more. This time I'm exclusively breastfeeding, is this why I can't pump so much? Should I be concerned about supply? My baby has lots of wet and dirty nappies and has been gaining weight, but she never seems content for long after feeds, unless we are out and she is asleep in the car seat or pram. The midwife also thinks she has slight breastmilk jaundice so we have to go for a blood test :cry: worried I will be pressured to supplement. I'm Proud of our achievement so far, I have an 18 month old as well and feel I'm neglecting her needs a little but she's amazing and is not jealous at all . Hopefully someone can reassure me! X

If your baby is gaining weight steadily and has wet/ dirty diapers like you said there's no need to supplement at all. Supplementing will actually cause your supply to drop drastically!
Pumping really isn't a good way to measure supply, a baby is better at getting milk out than a pump and if your baby has been feeding from you all day you may not have loads to spare as your busy regulates the amount of milk it needs by how mych your baby feeds.

Pumping can increase supply if you're looking at doing that. Even one extra pumping session a day will help :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->