Punishments for those without car insurance?

Eternal

Three boys!
Reaction score
What do you think? what could prevent people doing this?

Its so annoying ... i understand that car insurance prices are terrible and should be tackled themselves, but if you want to drive then you need to be insured, how can the amount of non-insuarnce payers be tackled?

What about a disk like a tax disc? then your car is crushed?:shrug:

Be interesting to hear different ideas on car insurance crimes.

Disk is a good idea. I think they are fairly zero tolerant on uninsured drivers if caught, your car gets seized at the roadside, you have to pay £££ to get it back once you have insurance, and if you don't go and collect it within a few days then it just gets crushed.

Or that's what happens on Road Wars / Police Camera Action anyway :haha:

Yeah uninsured drivers annoy me too. I spent a fortune in lessons and havent had a car since I passed my test as I can't afford insurance, and refuse to drive without it. xxx

There seem like there are sooooo many of them, i know so many people who have been hit by uninsured drivers grrrr... I mean its a nightmare in itself when hit by someone with insurance, would be heartbreaking if it was a non-insured driver.

DH's aunt was hit and killed last year by a driver high on meth, and no insurance. It really upsets me how people can be so selfish.

I don't agree with people doing it but I can see WHY. The prices are ridiculous... My insurance was over £100 a month for a 1995 micra. :wacko:

I do think the disc idea is a good idea though. Although realistically isn't that what a certificate of motor insurance is? You just don't stick it in your window.

I again don't agree with it but as said before, i can also understand why! my insurance has shot up from £97 per month to £145 per month! i nearly died when i saw the renewal!! I have had no accidents, no points or anything and the main driver (DH) turned 25 which is mean to make insurance cheaper!

My borther is 18 and got a 1lt corsa for his borthday. We got a quote for insurance and it was over £2000 third party f&t. He has stopped taking lessons as he is a student at uni and can not afford to pay that. It is a shame :(

I like the disk idea. Didn't they bring in a law now were all cars must have insurance on them even if sorn... So the police's data base can pick up if a car is not insured regardless if a person is fully comp it will be removed and crushed x

Our insurance is scary too, we have both had accidents though, but its terrible, Ive had two accidents, one was not my fault but still affects my policy, the other wasnt my fault either but i did hit him so its "my" fault, even though it was him who started turning into a junction which i pulled out of and then changed his mind! Anyway. SO two accidents to my name but have 7 years no claims discount.

Husband has two accidents to his name, one that was no action where someone bumped his car in a car park, no damage really, my oh wasnt moving so totally the other drivers fault, but his car was more damaged so told our insurance incase he claimed off his own insurance (he admitted fault) which affected his insurance grrrr ... and the other when a car ramped us from behind again totally not his fault but as it was on a round about it was 50/50 grrrr. So he now has no no-claims.

I keep saying if either of us have another accident we will be uninsurable. :S

I again don't agree with it but as said before, i can also understand why! my insurance has shot up from £97 per month to £145 per month! i nearly died when i saw the renewal!! I have had no accidents, no points or anything and the main driver (DH) turned 25 which is mean to make insurance cheaper!

My borther is 18 and got a 1lt corsa for his borthday. We got a quote for insurance and it was over £2000 third party f&t. He has stopped taking lessons as he is a student at uni and can not afford to pay that. It is a shame :(

I like the disk idea. Didn't they bring in a law now were all cars must have insurance on them even if sorn... So the police's data base can pick up if a car is not insured regardless if a person is fully comp it will be removed and crushed x

I'm pretty sure it's that they have to be insured UNLESS they are SORN as no insurance invalidates your tax. I had my old car on my drive for a week uninsured and was so scared I'd get in trouble :rofl:

I'm pretty sure it's that they have to be insured UNLESS they are SORN as no insurance invalidates your tax. I had my old car on my drive for a week uninsured and was so scared I'd get in trouble :rofl:

:thumbup:

Me = :dohh:

I think its a good idead but theyd have to find a way to sop people from making fraudulent copies as people already do this with tax disks.

I can see why they do it but there are plenty of people who have to do withuout a car because they cant afford it so why should they be any different :shrug:

I also think that if they fine uninsured drivers tha money should be put towards the public transport systme so that people who cant afford to drive have a viable alternative.

I think the cost of insurance itself needs to be made more realistic. It's way over priced at the minute and it's unfair how much people are charged for a little banger! If it was cheaper I think there would be less people driving without insurance.

That true most people I know pay more on insurance than the car is even worth and its not even like their cars are that nice/expensive!!!

Yeah, it's pricey, but I'm glad it's law to have insurance (in the states, anyway). After all, you don't pay insurance to have your own car fixed should you be in a wreck, you pay it for the other driver. If an uninsured driver hit me and they couldn't afford to fix my car out of pocket, I'd be screwed.

Yeah, it's pricey, but I'm glad it's law to have insurance (in the states, anyway). After all, you don't pay insurance to have your own car fixed should you be in a wreck, you pay it for the other driver. If an uninsured driver hit me and they couldn't afford to fix my car out of pocket, I'd be screwed.

Exactly. And it happens more than people think! It's happened to us, my MIL, aunt, friends.... there are too many people that don't have it.

FOB drove without insurance :growlmad: With a pregnant me, followed by our newborn (at the time!) son :gun: (I didn;t know about this btw, he was insured to start with, but the dick must've stopped paying. Obv that was my fault, never his own... Anyway, thats another story!)

He got his car took off him on the spot, it mustve crushed because he never got it back.

In the end he got banned for 6 months, and fined £200. :gun: Fuming. Eff all for putting his son, and everyone on the roads at risk.
To make it even worse, he thought it was funny. He only has to pay £30 a month. And he wouldn't be driving in 6 months anyway because he lost his job and he's a useless layabout.

:gun:

That's my rant of the day over.

Punishment needs to be harsher. These people are potentially ruining people's lives!

There needs to be a beter data base a bit like the no Tax thing the police can do by scanning the number plate with an instant result, also maybe if there was a reward for turning someone in? More people might then tell if they know someone without it. Maybe you should have to have insurance to get your MOT done? Obv there would have to be things in place for people who have brought cars to fix but it may help?

If your caught without you should have you car crushed and pay a fine of which would = a years worth of car insurance on said car.. If everyone was insured the prices would be lower they keep going up because of more and more people not being insured. Oh also atlest 6months ban from driving.

Oh's first car was 3k to insure 3rd party fire and theft, that was 4/5 years ago he now pays just under £900 but thats fully comp, road side asst, legal cover etc but it has gone up since last year

the thing is, having car insurance doesn't make people more sensible drivers.
it's just a safety net for the liability of another persons car, sometimes your own.

what makes me said is there are people out there drink-driving and walking away with a lesser punishment, perhaps no punishment at all. :nope: but that's a whole other argument :haha:

i do think the punishment should be a lot harder, because maybe then it would stop little idiots who THINK they can drive, just getting into a car and doing so, hence meaning there are more sensible drivers out there. because people are too damn scared to drive without it. does that make sense?!

I think the punishments should be harder but also maybe the government should set up their own car insurance scheme, just the minimum of cover but it will pay out if someone is injured or killed by your car-then no-one would have any excuse not to be insured xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->