Putting weight on: Diet plan?

A

AppleBlossom

Been looking at ways to change my diet to help me put weight on. The last time I weighed myself I was 6st 11lbs. I am so unhappy with how thin I'm getting I decided I NEED to do something about it. I desperately want to get to a size 10. I'm currently a size 6. So I've come up with a vague plan. Just wondered if anyone that knows anything about diet plans could have a look and tell me if it's ok and if I need to add anything or take anything away. Thanks :)

Breakfast:

2 rounds of white toast with peanut butter

Lunch

Cheese/ham salad sandwich
Nutri grain bar
Low saturated fat crisps like Quavers
Full fat yoghurt

Dinner:

Chicken of some sort with chips/potato and veg
Chicken stir fry
Pasta and sauce
Steak and mash

Snacks:

Yoghurt
Cheese
nuts
dried fruit

Just some ideas for somewhere to start :)

lol plus make sure u cook everything with butter the full fat kind jacket pot with really mature chedder and loads of butter...have sauces with everything and puddings on every meal xx

sounds good to me

I think it's really just stodgy carbohydrates that I need. And protein from meat. Hopefully that will get me somewhere!

Mmm cupcakes...

Noooo stay away from butter. It's full of bad fats like saturated and trans fats. You want unsaturated or poly saturated fats.

Look at eating more protein. Something like oats, or flapjacks are good as they have protein and are carb heavy, or baked beans, or rice, etc.

Try to eat every 3 hours, and if possible eat 5-6 small meals a day rather than three big ones.

Try to eat 2,500 calories per day.

Make sure you get the right vitamins and minerals in your diet. If you are lacking, you won't gain correctly.

Look at doing resistance training. like swimming. This will tone your body, no bulk you up.

lol @cupcakes...

I weigh over double you... *sigh*

Nuts aswell are good :)

Hey just wanted to say you're not alone! As I weigh the same as you and also want to put on some weight. Do you know your BMI?

I don't want to be walking about this summer in a cool top & skirt with bony shoulders & knees! I'm not happy with my weight, but at the same time I have no appetite.

I'm just waiting for a consultant appointment for something else before I try to put on some weight as I'm not sure if my low weight is to do with my other health problems.

Good luck with your new diet! Maybe I'll be asking you for tips soon lol I wouldn't know where to start :dohh:

I weigh the same as you too and just can't put on weight. I was advised to make sure I eat breakfast and have regular snacks during the day so your plan looks pretty good to me! I should definitely do this too but I always forget to eat my snacks especially when I'm busy at work. Good luck would be interested to now if it works

Butter is better for you than margarine I've heard but everything in moderation even when you're trying to gain weight you want to gain healthily :)

Whole grain pastas, sweet potatoes/yams, bananas.. starchy foods :)

This is copied and pasted from what I wrote in Jacey's thread on weight gain, hope some of it helps, I will warn you now it's a mega essay and a half lol, but it gives you some good info so you don't get bored of peanut butter on toast every morning :)

Put quite simply you need to eat more calories than you use - and you need to do this regularly. It's not enough just to have occasional extra snacks.

Set yourself a realistic target weight and aim to increase your weight gradually, by about 1 kg (2 lbs) every month until you reach it. To do this, you'll need to take in about 350 extra calories each day. Your body will respond better if you do this by eating healthily, rather than just eating more chocolate or fatty foods.

It's important to eat regularly throughout the day. Plan to eat 5-6 small meals, plus two or three snacks in between. If you find this difficult at first, you could start with smaller meals and gradually make them larger. To add more calories to your meals, you could:

* have an extra slice of toast for breakfast,
* drink grape juice rather than orange or apple juice,
* make coffee and tea with milk,
* serve an extra spoon of mashed potato, wholemeal rice or wholemeal pasta,
* add lean minced meat, lentils, beans or noodles to meals like casseroles and soups,
* be more generous with healthier unsaturated oils, such as olive, sunflower and vegetable oils, salad dressing and spreads, and
* always have a dessert.

Using fortified whole milk in your hot drinks will also add more calories (you can find this with the UHT milk in the supermarket), but try and cut down the amount of tea and coffee you drink each day, replacing it with milky drinks instead.

To help you keep on track for your target weight, it might help to keep a food diary

As well as eating regularly, it's important to eat healthily. Your diet will be balanced if you eat foods from the five main food groups in the right amounts.

* Carbohydrates like bread, pasta and potatoes should make up about one third of your diet.
* You should aim to eat at least five portions of fruit and vegetables each day.
* About one fifth of what you eat each day should be protein - choose from meat, fish and eggs, or beans and nuts.
* You should aim to get 700mg of calcium each day, roughly the same as a pint of milk or two small yoghurts. You can also get calcium from soya milk and yoghurts with added calcium, and from leafy green vegetables.
* Fatty or sugary foods like butter, chocolate, crisps and cakes should make up the smallest part of your diet.

Keep some healthy snacks handy, to make it easier to keep to your plan. You might like to choose from:

* fresh or dried fruit,
* cereal or cereal bars,
* milk, yoghurt drinks or smoothies,
* flapjacks, scones or fruit buns,
* nuts and seeds,
* pots of rice pudding, custard or yoghurt,
* wheatmeal biscuits,
* pasteurised cheese and crackers.

And, of course, a small chocolate bar once in a while doesn't do any harm!

Ideas for more filling snacks include omelettes with healthy fillings such as ham, cheese or mushroom, baked beans on wholemeal toast, and jacket potatoes with toppings like tuna and coleslaw or cold chicken and turkey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->