question 4 BLWers who also use formula

P

purple_socks

i use aptimil stage 1 atm but i noticed that aptimil does a follow milk which goes from 6 months and says 'to compliment weaning'. does that apply to BLW weaning too?

since with BLW LO wont b getting the same amount of solids as he would with purees should i switch to follow on milk at 6 months or stay with stage 1 until LO starts eating more?

i asked this same question a while back too.. we are also on aptamil first, have been since i stopped pumping about 2 months ago...

i think the general thoughts are that its not really necessary to change, my hv, like lots of others i heard, say its something created by formula companies, and not something 'needed'
so we arent going to change. the only advantage i could see is that you can get clubcard points for follow on but not for stage 1....

hmm this is what i was wondering...i was trying to research it but an struggling to find info thats not from the formula companies.

I might be wrong but is there added iron in the follow on milk? I use formula in Aisling's breakfast and got the follow on stuff for the iron.

I haven't been using the follow on milk...partly because I just didn't think to...:S once I started thinking about it I saw the thread in here and decided not to...might ask HV next time...guess it's ok to use it if you want, but doesn't really matter if not!

lu: yeah apparently there is added iron. from what i've found out during my online hunting: apparently its v similar to cows milk (more so than normal formula) but with added iron. most things i've read seems to imply its more of a marketing ploy than anything else. i don't think its bad to use (especially not if its just 4 LO cereals) but doesn't sound like its something anyone 'needs' to switch over to. i might just stick with stage 1 until LO is older and having much less milk....unless anyone has any other info on it?

I switched to follow on because we're doing BLW and therefore I cannot guarentee how much iron she's actually getting because I don't know how "much" she's actually eating.

If she's got a selection of food and only one bit contains iron and she choses to ignore that, then she doesn't get it.

It's not needed but I personally feel more comfortable using it. They can't "overdose" on extra iron in formula and it won't cause constipation or any other symptoms of too much iron.

Plus when we were using stage 1, we got coupons for the follow on so it worked out cheaper for a while :winkwink:

We haven't switched. i don't want to mess with Ruby's milk when she's happy on stage one. The iron in formula is very, very difficult to absorb as well. Anyway, follow on was invented to get round the 'no advertising' rule that applies to milk for babies under 6m.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->