question about BLW

BabyMamma93

Mummy of a Easter baby
Reaction score
when it comes to me weaning, no doubt there will be alot of questions on BLW so sorry in advance lol..
anyway i just want to know.. BLW is basically letting baby feed him self right? so if i say give my LO porridge for breakfast, or something with mashed potato for dinner & let him feed him self, because it isn't really finger food in the sense that he can pick up a 'chip sized' piece of food, is this loosing the objective of BLW? or is it still classed as BLW as he is (hopefully) spoon feeding himself?

Yes, it's still BLW as long as that's not all you feed him. Really, BLW is feeding your LO what you eat and letting him self-feed what he wants and at his own pace. So yes, you definitely eat porridge yourself and you definitely eat mashed potato yourself, but you also eat things like roasted veg and toast and sausage and an orange. I would say that offering foods that aren't in the form you'd normally eat them in (like, say, pureeing a dinner of chicken, rice and broccoli and giving the puree to him to self-feed) isn't BLW. It's not a bad thing to do, but also misses the boat a bit and won't really get you the benefits of doing BLW. But if you are starting with softer foods, like porridge or yogurt and letting him self-feed and then also starting to offer other types of finger foods, like toast or cucumber sticks or apple slices, etc., then yes, I'd say it's BLW.

I'm not BLW-ing myself (although I am totally sold on the idea, don't ask lol) but I hugely recommend reading Gill Rapley's book on BLW, people seem to think just because they give finger foods this is BLW, it's more than just letting baby feed themselves now and again, it's a whole process, philosophy almost, and reading the book will explain that, plus give practical ideas and advice etc.

im defo getting this book when i next have the money in the bank to order it (it never stays in the bank for long enough to lol) i guess when i do read it, i will have a better understanding of BLW theres just many things that baffle me..
ik this might trigger a bit of a judgement and maybe a little moan, but my HV asked how i was getting on with his reflux and asked if i weaned him (as hes turned 17 week) i told her he was still sick etc and she suggested giving him a rich tea biscuit every now and then, so i offered him one by putting it to his mouth, he sucked on it then grabbed it him self, a little bit broke off in his mouth, it wasn't at the back of his throat or even near the back but he gagged it scared me, but i guess ill have to get used to it for when i wean him.. just to add, i gave him the one biscuit and he hasn't had anything else since..

Yes, get the Gill Rapley book, but you don't have to actually buy it. Your local library should have it in the parenting section. It's a great read and was so helpful it helping me to understand what I was doing and why, but I definitely never read it again. So you don't need to own it or spend money you don't have buying it.

Also, other people will have different opinions, but I would ignore your HV's advice. Giving biscuits or rusks to babies under 6 months is really outdated and dangerous advice. Don't feel bad or like you did something 'wrong' as it's often advised to wean early for reflux babies, but now the recommendation is to use baby rice. Before 6 months, biscuits and rusks can be a choking hazard because most babies can't sit upright well enough or have enough control over their tongue and other muscles in the mouth/throat to deal with finger food. Your HV should know that, but some just use really outdated advice. If you do decide to wean early (and it doesn't always help), I'd stick with baby rice or puree and then go the BLW route at 6 months.

she said as he holds his head and is very almost sitting up himself and he puts food to his mouth, he seems ready, she said i could start weaning him with rice and baby porridge and also baby jars, but i just don't want to give him crap like that so that's why im trying to wait it out till hes 6m

We started blw with dd at 5.5 months and she took to it fab straight away. At first we didnt give anything that needed a spoon. Then at about 6.5 months we started spoon feeding her porridge for breakfast (not blw but thats what worked for us at the time) she's 7.5 months now and fully blw again. If we give her something like yogurt or mash I give her a spoon but she usually eats with her fingers. She knows what to do with the spoon she dips it in and puts it to her mouth but can't scoop onto it. It's very messy but she loves it and we did the same with ds at that age and it doesn't last long.

i ordered the book from ebay while i was at work before i could get to the bank lol. It comes tomorrow :) i cant wait x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->