Question about early Braxton Hicks

Marumi

36, DS 7 and 2
Reaction score
Almost 23 weeks here with a question that might be better answered by third trimester ladies.
I have been experiencing Braxton Hicks contractions since last week. Before I did not have any. Only the occasional post Orgasm tightening which I try to avoid too.
With my first I had them earlier and as far as I remember they felt different. They never worried me because they were what I imagined as typical Braxton Hicks contractions...just a mild tightening all the way up to my belly button that released and went away quickly.

What I feel this time around feels much different and I am trying to make sure these are just normal BH's. I start feeling tightening very low by my pubic bone, then feel pressure on my bladder and cervix. The tightness gets more intense very gradually and then releases extremely gradually. Unlike with the first where they came on quickly and I felt a more definite release.

I remember that in the third trimester last time my whole belly would get hard but am it really is just the bottom.
Once they start I have about 4-7 within 1-2 hrs and then nothing for a day.

I am thinking maybe these are so untypical because they just started for me and it is still quite early? Wondering how they changed for everyone in the third trimester. Or would you say this sounds in any way odd or concerning?

No one had Braxton Hicks contractions in the second trimester? :/

Sounds very similar to the BH I have been having this time around... They started much earlier for than my first pregnancy and seem more intense than last go round too. This time they started at about 18 weeks for me, so not odd at all. I'd maybe mention it to your doc at the next appointment if you're concerned about intensity or frequency... She'll likely advise to up your water intake. :thumbup:

It's pretty typical to get BH earlier the second time around. :flower: If they stay that infrequent, chances as you're just fine. you only need to worry if they really start hurting, or if you get 6+ and hour and they're time-able.

It's pretty typical to get BH earlier the second time around. :flower: If they stay that infrequent, chances as you're just fine. you only need to worry if they really start hurting, or if you get 6+ and hour and they're time-able.

Thank you! I meant to say with my first pregnancy I had them earlier (starting just after the first trimester I believe) and they were more intense in a way as in the whole belly tightened up.

I do have a bit too many in an hour sometimes, but only by one or two usually. I only started having them since dealing with a bladder problem that can't be properly diagnosed.

Was diagnosed with my first ever UTI a couple weeks ago. After taking an antibiotic for it and drinking more water to prevent another, I noticed my BH have reduced in frequency.... When I moved the nursery furniture by myself (I know!) I ended up with BHs about a minute apart for an hour and a half... It was wild! After relaxing and taking a nap, they were gone though. Kinda freaked me out when they jumped so far in frequency though.

Things like bladder problems and UTI's can irritate the uterus, so that ties in with what you're saying, and also where you are feeling them (around the bladder/cervix area).
I would say that's what's causing the BH's/irritable uterus around that area. Is it being treated?

I had them from 20 weeks this time, getting progressively worse from about 28 weeks (I didn't have any first time around). A lot of them were painful, and more than 6 per hour etc; but they never intensified in pain so I never really worried about them.

Yeah, same here, the pain never increases or even decreases for the last 2.
I am taking Penicillin for the bladder infection now. It works wonders right after taking it and I feel pretty much normal, but after 5 hours my problems return! This is day 2 on antibiotics so I hope it is strong enough to fix the problem. I don't have contractions when I feel normal, only when the problems worsen again it seems.

Thank you! I meant to say with my first pregnancy I had them earlier (starting just after the first trimester I believe) and they were more intense in a way as in the whole belly tightened up.

I do have a bit too many in an hour sometimes, but only by one or two usually. I only started having them since dealing with a bladder problem that can't be properly diagnosed.

Sounds like an Irritable Uterus to me. (I have one, and get contractions all the time). Maybe Google it and see if other women's experiences sound like your own. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->