Question about Fleece wraps/longies/soakers/etc

TigerLady

CaveTiger Clan Mama
Reaction score
:haha:

Yes, I am queen of the dumb questions when it comes to this CD stuff! :blush:

So, wool needs lanolized to be waterproof.

What about fleece? Do they needed treated? I gather not, but are they really waterproof and work well as a soaker/wrap/etc??

TIA :flower:

No special treatment and they work great!!!! As long as it says it's 100% polyester you are good to go:) You know Old Navy's performance fleece pants? Those are great for it, we have a few pairs of those. Or you can make your own, I can't sew so I always buy them lol

Wool needs lanolising but you need to wash after every use, you just hang them up to air. Fleece doesn't need treated but needs washing after every use.

I have a question too. I'd love to try wool longies but I won't use lanolin as I'm a veggie... is there any alternative or does it need to be real lanolin?

I have a question too. I'd love to try wool longies but I won't use lanolin as I'm a veggie... is there any alternative or does it need to be real lanolin?

I don't think so, according to this lanolin is naturally found in sheep's wool you are just having to replenish it that's what makes it work.

Lanolin is the natural waterproofing on sheep's wool. This natural lanolin is what makes the wool "waterproof". Wool absorbs about 30% of it's weight without feeling wet, which means "overspill" gets absorbed by the wool and, ta da! No leaks. Just let the wool air dry between uses, and you can go for weeks between washings. Wool doesn't get smelly like synthetics do. The lanolin on the wool cover gets used up by the urine as the cover air dries, so after a while you will need to restore lanolin to the cover to maintain the cover's effectiveness. Getting lanolin back onto the wool is call Lanolizing. Some people do a short water-only soak or rinse prior to lanolizing to rinse out any residue first. Some like to lanolize their covers inside out, butI do not notice any difference in the results either way.

Lanolin is an oil extracted from wool (nursing mothers often use it for cracked/dry nipples) I would think if that part of it is an issue the wool itself probably would be too :)

Does lanolin come from dead sheep then? I've never thought about where it comes from

It comes from their wool....I don't think it means they were necc killed? I think it's just when they are shaven it's taken from that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->