question about folic acid

Hellymay83

Reaction score
I asked Dh to pick me up some folic acid while he was shopping yesterday thinking he'd come back with senatogen or pregnacare but he got sainsburys own brand 'women's folic acid 400ug'. It says to consult doctor before taking if pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant. So do you think these are safe to take? Probably a silly question :huh:

If its just folic acid you will be fine but if its more of a multi vit and not necessarly for pregnancy then I would just check because I know there is a vitamin pregnant people should avoid.

I *think* that warning is more of a ...."if you are taking a multi-vitamin, you may want to ask your doctor before taking this"...you know like...a don't overdose on it type of warning. if you aren't taking any vitamins then I don't see an issue with taking the folic supplement. but personally I'd go back and return the folic acid and pick up actual prenatal vitamins

I took own brand with my daughter and all was fine but with this pregnancy I was taking pregnacare and they were giving me headaches (my previous pregnancy I took seven seas, they also give me head ache) so I've resorted to Asdas own folic acid and so far no head aches. I'm sure they will be just fine. Xx

Thanks ladies,

Mummy the senatogen ones made me really sick when I was pregnant with Katie, with my last pregnancy I took seven seas and felt okish xx

Normal folic acid is fine, but in the UK they recommend you also take a vitamin d supplement. Because we don't get enough sun!

Pregnacare, sanatogen, seven seas and own brand prenatal vitamins are okay but do not take a multi vitamin that isn't specifically for pregnant ladies as it will have vitamin a in, which is bad for us in high doses.

Normal folic acid is fine, but in the UK they recommend you also take a vitamin d supplement. Because we don't get enough sun!

Pregnacare, sanatogen, seven seas and own brand prenatal vitamins are okay but do not take a multi vitamin that isn't specifically for pregnant ladies as it will have vitamin a in, which is bad for us in high doses.

Thank you, it's funny you mention vitamin d, my daughter had her 2.5 year development check a few weeks ago l, the hv told me to get her vitamin d supplements from the chemist because we don't get enough Sun and when we do we cover ourselves in sunscreen which blocks the rays from the sun so rickets is on the increase x

I used own brand folic acid and had to laugh at the "consult your doctor if you are pregnant..." warning! I think it is a legal requirement if that specific product hasn't undergone specific medical trials but when I checked the ingredients it was just folic acid and a gelatin(?) coating so I knew it was safe.

Almost every label says that. I got an OTC prenatal vitamin that has everything that I need to have as a pregnant woman. It says to consult a doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.

Like a PP said, I think it's more for the fact that if you take anything else that could affect the prenatal, or give you too much of something (vitamin or supplement) that you should only get a certain amount a day.

i buy the sainsburys own brand plain folic acid, most women with a balanced diet (and not suffering major morning sickness) do not need the multi-vit like pregnacare.

plus the plain folic acid is about £2 and not £10+ !!!

They are fine x

i buy the sainsburys own brand plain folic acid, most women with a balanced diet (and not suffering major morning sickness) do not need the multi-vit like pregnacare.

plus the plain folic acid is about £2 and not £10+ !!!

They are fine x

Thank you for this hun xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"