Question about what name to use on the birth certificate

malia

Trying for #2
Reaction score
So I think we have narrowed it down to two names - Theo or Eli. My OH thinks if we pick one of these names, the full version of the name should be on the birth certificate (Theodore or Elliott). I'm a bit torn on this. Part of me thinks that it is pointless to give a child a long name you have no intention of using, but then I also understanding giving him options as an adult. I think that both of these names would be fine on a grown man though?

What do you guys think?

I think both Theo and Eli are totally appropriate adult names. If you both love the shortened version and don't much care for the full version I say stick with what you love and keep it short!

My LO is Abigail and we very rarely call her the full name (98% of the time she's Abby), but I love formal names with easy nicknames, so it was an easy decision for us. If you're not bothered either way then there's probably no point, but I will say that I LOVE both Theodore and Elliott.

I think Theo stands on its own a little better than Eli, too.

Im one of those that prefers a more formal name on the birth certificates, although I do think Theo is a name in its own right. Both lovely names too x

I'm also all for the formal name on the birth certificate. That said, Eli is a name in its own right. It's Hebrew. So I don't think that needs the Elliot, especially since I wouldn't have guessed Eli as a nickname of that anyway.

I'm also all for the formal name on the birth certificate. That said, Eli is a name in its own right. It's Hebrew. So I don't think that needs the Elliot, especially since I wouldn't have guessed Eli as a nickname of that anyway.

It normally wouldn't be, but I don't care for Elijah at all. Elliot is the only longer name that is close to Eli that I like.

I'm glad that others do think they are fine as stand alone names. I guess it couldn't hurt to have a more formal one on the birth certificate though.

I'd go for the long name on the certificate. I'm Josephine and no one has ever actually called me Josephine lol, always been Josie even by my parents who named me :haha: but I love having a long name and then the nn that everyone knows me by. I think it sounds much better for job interviews and other similar situations in adult life too!

We've had the same issue, one of our names for a girl is Connie and we've decided that if we do go with that name she'll be Constance on her birth certificate, even though we'll most likely never call her by her 'formal' name X

Thats my total pet peeve!! I think it's totally pointless... my niece is Olivia and we mostly call her Liv but at nursery or if shes in trouble lol she's definitely Olivia! But if your never going to use the name then whats the point? When your child is older if they are known by the shorter name only they wont identify with the formal name as theirs! Just my opinion (sorry guys who have formal names) x

I would go with the longer version, I'm a Lorraine, but only ever get called Lo my mum wanted to call me Lo but my dad insisted on a longer name which I'm thankful for, I dont consider myself as a Lorraine but I think Lo on formal documents sounds a bit daft :wacko:

That said Eli and Theo are names within their own rights :flower:

Theo & Eli are totally great, adult names on their own. I wouldn't worry!

Having said that, I love both Theodore & Elliot :)

Thats my total pet peeve!! I think it's totally pointless... my niece is Olivia and we mostly call her Liv but at nursery or if shes in trouble lol she's definitely Olivia! But if your never going to use the name then whats the point? When your child is older if they are known by the shorter name only they wont identify with the formal name as theirs! Just my opinion (sorry guys who have formal names) x

This!

I would definitely go with a full name if it's a nicknamey type name. However I don't think Theo or Eli are particularly nicknamey I think they stand in their own right. So if you have no intention of ever using a long name then maybe don't bother

However my son is called Freddie - we always wanted him to be Freddie, but I think it's more of a nickname. So there was no question to me that it should be Frederick on his birth certificate. It just feels 'proper' to me, that is his full official name. And actually we thought we would always call him Freddie but we actually use Fred, Freds and Frederick! I love that he has options x

Sophie is sort of nick-name-ish, but I don't like Sophia so she's Sophie on her birth cert.

I like Theo and Eli. If his name is Theodore I guarantee people will try to call him Teddy. And Eli doesn't really sound like the nickname for Elliot - they have different beginning sounds.

Well I like all four of your options. And while generally i prefer formal names, i think in your instance the two shorter names are names in their own right so its not necessary
I do think longer names give the kids more options as they age though.

I like formal names on the birth certificate personally but I don't think there is anything wrong putting Eli or Theo down, although I wonder if you thought of Elias as a longer version of Eli?

I mulled this over in my head as well. My son's name is Alex and considered going with Alexander but I wasn't a fan and I knew I'd never call him Alexander and I didn't want anyone else to call him Alexander so I didn't know what the point was. I'd name him what you're planning on calling him. Lengthening it is unnecessary. Plus as others said, the names you chose stand well on their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->