question for a friend

bubblz82

Reaction score
I do blw. My friend is spoon feeding. Her lo is 6 months but is not swallowing the food. This has been happening two weeks. I tried her with toast. She did pick it up. I've tolf her to try both ways each day in the hope it will kick in. My lo in two weeks younger and is flying so I'm stuck at giving her advice. Any ideas?

All babies are different, her baby might just not be too interested yet. Perhaps her baby hasn't lost the tongue thrust reflex and isn't quite ready for solids.

She's still new to learning to eat, so unless there are signs that the baby is becoming unhealthy, I would just tell her that there's a learning curve! :)

I agree it doesn't sound like her LO is ready. 6months is a guide based on when most babies show readiness, but you should follow the readiness signs more than fixating on dates.

I think she just needs to sit back and give it more time. If she wants to persist with spoonfeeding, it's a matter of listening to her and respecting if she doesn't have an interest. If she's taking it and then spitting it out or just refusing, I would give it some time and try again in a few weeks. If she wants to go the BLW route, it's just a matter of giving her food to play with and not focusing on whether or not she eats any of it. She will eventually, but most BLW babies don't start eating right away and it can take weeks or even months before they're eating much of anything. I would think 2 weeks for most babies is way too early to expect much of her. I think I would offer food once a day and just let her at it. As she gets more skilled in putting food to her mouth, chewing and eating, your friend can add in more meals, but there really is no rush. We started BLW at 6 months and though I was seeing some small bits of food come through after about 2 weeks, my daughter wasn't eating in any quantity, not enough to fill her up and make her decrease her milk feeds, until 9 months, which is pretty normal. I think just encourage her to be patient, think of it as play and exploration, and of course, not to try to compare her baby with anyone else, because they're all different.

Thanks ladies. I actually thought she was ready but listening to your advice I now feel she isn't. I think she should go down baby led route as she has tried rusk. I told her to try both ways one in morning and one at night. I'll see how that went and maybe say to hold off.

I know babies are all different but my lo is younger and he loving her food. And I love the mess lol

She'll figure out what works for her eventually. Giving food at 6 months is really all about exploration anyways. The baby is still getting all of his/her nutritional needs met through formula or breast milk, and it should remain that way for quite a while. As for her experience versus yours... all babies really are so different. I did BLW only because my little girl absolutely refused point blank to be spoon fed. She has never loved food and even at a year old it is still a struggle to get her to eat. BLW does not guarantee a child who is an adventurous eater who loves food. You should just feel lucky that you have a good eater and let your friend get on with whatever it is that she want to do.

I mix spoon feeding and finger foods mainly because there are times I need good to be eaten quickly and if I let her just go at it we're there for a while :D

My LO has loved everything she's eaten so far with the exception of a fish pie baby food packet which frankly looked and smelled like vomit so I can't fault her there!

I think the key is the let baby go at their own rate if their happier with smooth puréed food then stick with that and just introduce other textures a little at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->