Question for those who r already moms!!

wantababybad2

Natalie's Mommy!!
Reaction score
Hi. My name is Danielle, and I'm expecting my first baby in July. We just had our baby shower over the weekend. Because we're havin a girl people couldn't resist buyin clothes...lol. Even though she already has plenty. The big problem with that is we didn't get much that we really need. Since there haven't been many babies in our family in a while we r unsure what we really need for the baby. We know diapers, wipes, shampoo, and lotion. We have a crib, car seat, swing, and stroller. What else do we need before we welcome baby Natalie?

You deff want to get something for nose suction and receiving blankets. I will add more as my brain works better. lol

You seem like you have all of the essentials! Some of the things also depend on if you're deciding on formula feeding or are nursing. My first pregnancy I was so worried about the things I needed, that I didn't realize half of them weren't practical and DD never used them or hated them.

Bottles, infant tylenol and gas drops just incase you need them, health things such as thermometer and.nose sucker thing and nail clippers, binkies.if.you plan on using them, some sort of.baby bath thing, burp.clothes and blankets. Basically the little.things you dont think you need right.now, but should have.on.hand like diaper rash cream and BOOBIE.PADS! REGARDLESS of if you plan to bf or.not, your.boobs will still leak for.a few days. Diaper bag. Think thats it lol!

I do plan on breast feeding. We have burp clothes, bibs, and things like that. I feel like we r runnin out of time to get everything we need. Lol. And we still have 9 weeks. I wish our family had more babies so we would know more about wat we need but it seems like after my brother 15 years ago and dh's brother 18 years our families jut quit havin babies. Lol.

You deff want to get something for nose suction and receiving blankets. I will add more as my brain works better. lol

nose suction?

Yeah its like a bulb thing in case the baby gets stuff stuck in the nose or throat. It can help get it out quickly if there are breathing issues baby nasal aspirator would be the correct term I guess I could not think of it. :flower:

I do plan on breast feeding. We have burp clothes, bibs, and things like that. I feel like we r runnin out of time to get everything we need. Lol. And we still have 9 weeks. I wish our family had more babies so we would know more about wat we need but it seems like after my brother 15 years ago and dh's brother 18 years our families jut quit havin babies. Lol.

If you are breastfeeding and uncomfy with showing grab a nursing cover hun and lanolin or similar helps a lot as well for cracks. Though tmi using your own BM while uncovered is just as good. Also nursing bras! :D

Although I plan on breast feedin I will also be pumpin because I believe it is important for Natalie and her daddy to bond too, and of course he will wat to feed her. Lol. Wat bottles would u recommend for breast feedin? The ones with the bags in them? Without bags? Elbows or no elbows? Certain nipples? Things like that. I have heard certain names like even flo and breast flow.

And I will probably only breast feed at home because I am not comfortable at all showin. Lol. I don't even like for hubby to look. :)

And I will probably only breast feed at home because I am not comfortable at all showin. Lol. I don't even like for hubby to look. :)

Those things I can't help with, I never gave my son a bottle. I just covered and double layered my shirts and I have huge boobies so it was kinda fun learning at first. I let hubs bond other ways. I don't knock anyone who does the combi feeding but its suggested to wait I think 6 weeks? Again I am not sure as I am not familiar with combi. :flower::flower:

I was completely clueless about what I'd need as well. On BabiesRUs.com, there's a registry checklist (you can access it by 'creating' a registry without using it if you don't want to) that helped me so much. I feel like it definitely helped me feel better about having everything I need because it's rather extensive. Some things you can be like "Well I definitely don't really NEED this," but it covers everything from essentials to nice-to-haves. :)

The things I really used right away were the following:
Swing
Boppy Pillow(great for propping up arm and laying baby in)
Just a few blankets, as it's summer light receiving blankets are best
Diapers/Wipes
Bottles
If breastfeeding you might want a pump to exspress, nursing pads, nipple cream, cover
I didn't get last time but will this time, moby wrap. Baby wearing is so much easier than trying to do everything with 1 arm!

I didn't really need any medicine, diaper cream, cute outfits, toys, or actually even a crib since she slept with us lol. If you don't have something you'll get it once baby is born, so don't freak out too much. It seems like you have most of the essentials!

If baby plans to sleep in a different room you'd want a baby monitor. I ended up buying a video one because otherwise I was up twelve hundred times a night making sure she was okay lol
Though DD still slept in myy bed until she was about 3 months old.

Definetly nursing pads. Lots.
I found that with my first I never used my baby carrier, because SOMEONE was always trying to hold her, so when I got the chance,she was in my arms lol BUT I also had a baby bjorn which I found too much of a chore trying to get her in and out on my own without dropping her, so maybe a moby would be better?? I'm considering one for DS now that ill have two kids and need more hands lol

I used a swing A LOT. But if you get one, try for one that uses a cord, not batteries. They seem to burn through them quite fast.

GAS DROPS! Enough said.

Id suggest a blanket or cover for public breastfeeding, because even though I never PLANNED on it, I had to on occasion as I couldn't pump enough for future bottles and her right away. So it was nice to have it on hand when I needed it.

A nursing bra. Trying to take off your bra or having it sit there every time is frustrating.

Lots o blankets for swaddling(sp?). My daughter wouldn't sleep unless she was tucked in real tight. They aren't used to there arms and legs being out and about with room to move.

Something that makes noise. My daughter had a seahorse that lights up and plays soft music. I understand its not really a NEED. But it saved me. I swear. Loves it to this day ,and she it nearly three :)

I know you said you had plenty of clothes, but don't forget hats and those mittens for ensuring they don't scratch themselves(though I just used socks).

And the only other thing I can think of that I "needed" was baby sensitive laundry soap. You'll be washing plenty lol

Just about everything y'all mentioned we have. Lol. She will be sleephing in our room in a bassinet until I feel comfortable with her bein in her crib. She has tons of hats, mittens, socks, and all that good stuff. I'm also wondering when will I need to get teething toys and teething tablets? We r on a budget for just a few more months so I'm tryin to only get necessities right now. I know they both will be necessities but not right away. And y'all r bein really helpful. My best friend was also askin the same questions so ur helpin 2 of us first time mommies. We're due on the same day!! How exciting!! Lol.

My DD didn't teeth until about 4 months I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->