Question for you ladies who have had a c-section

N

Nanninoo

when do they remove your catheter and how long until you regain feeling and movement to be able to get up? I'm wondering because surely you need to get up to clean down below as you would be bleeding like you would on a period and you can't just lie in bed with no sanitary towels and need to change? Or am I guessing nurses clean you whilst your in bed? Which would be my worst nightmare!:blush:

Hi,

I would like to know the answer to this too as I have been wondering. Can you wear pants and a catheter?
x

I had my son at 5pm and they left the catheter in until the next morning. So I was bed bound for the whole night. The nurses clean u up after the section. Your don't bleed as much with a section cause they kind of clean u out. They put one of those blanket pads on the bed. It was only for the night and u feel so crap that u don't really care lol...a few hours after the section I could feel movement but your on so many drugs kind of out of it

When I had my son, it took about an hour or so to get feeling back in my legs, and I wasn't able to get up until later that evening(had the C-section at 9am) They didn't take out my catheter until I was able to get up and walk to the bathroom on my own. They had me sitting on one of those big pad sheet things(look like a puppy potty pads) for the blood. I was able to wipe up some blood off my legs, but the nurse didn't really worry about cleaning up everything thing at that point. They'd already cleaned me up once after the section. Once I was up and the catheter was out, I was able to put on underwear(started in the hospital provided mesh ones) and a big pad. This time around, I'm taking my own huge pair of underwear(more comfy than ones that fit), as the mesh ones are uncomfortable. I'm also taking my own clothes to change into. I don't think they would allow pants with a catheter(hard to get on and off when you can't get up yet) but probably could once it's out. I'm just going to take a black nightgown, so I don't have to worry about blood stains or struggling with pants :)

Hi,

I would like to know the answer to this too as I have been wondering. Can you wear pants and a catheter?
x

I don't think you can wear anything on your lower half with a catheter. I had my c-section at 8pm, and I could feel my legs again by about 10:30pm. They took my catheter out and got me out of bed about noon the next day. Before that, they just checked my incision a few times, but I don't think they had to do much cleanup. They had me on one of those bed pads, but I wasn't bleeding much at that point.

It wasn't until I stood up and walked to the bathroom that it all started to flood out. In fact, the nurse came with me into the bathroom and had to assure me that it was normal, because it was scary to be just pouring blood and huge clots into the toilet. After that, I wore the mesh underwear with maternity pads.

Had my daughter at just before 6pm. I was up and walking about by 10pm, catheter bag in hand lol. The catheter was removed when I'd passed a certain amount of urine which was around lunchtime the next day.

I was up and walking about the room and down the ward from day 1 - I attribute my incredible healing and serious lack of pain to it!

Also, I was lying on a large incontinence type pad to collect the blood!

hey hun. I had my section at 9:30am and my catheter could have been removed that night but my urine output wasnt high enough. I was up on my feet with help from a midwife at around 3pm when she gave me a good clean up and i had some of those disposable pants put on, they just put the catheter line down through the side of the leg. I was got up again at 6:30, another clean up and pants change. On the bed i had a couple of those bed pads underneath me. Catheter was taken out at 6am the next morning and i was straight up and in the shower.

my advice is as soon as you get a tiny bit of feeling start moving your feet. I had a midwife who i thought was really mean making me lift up my bum etc when i was still numb but i was thankful later that day because i certainly feel that my great recovery was because i got moving early on :D xx

I had a section at 3am and didn't have the catheter removed for about 24 hours so I must have been bleeding onto a big sheet thing but I don't even remember to be honest. I wouldn't worry about where the bleeding goes and the nurses having to clean you up because you really won't care at the time. I get how picturing it happening before the event would make you cringe but when it comes down to it you won't care one bit :) x

I had an incosheet and a pad between my legs. Catheter came out next morning and I had to have a walk and shower. I barely bled tbh, as pp said they kind of suction it out when they get baby out.

They generally keep it in for about 24 hours. I also remembering not being able/allowed to sit up inbed, i had to stay laying down. Something about a massive migraine from the spinal.
So i would say to mentally prepare to be stuck in the bed for the 24 hours after the c section :( it sucks i know but honestly it will probably be one of the last things on your mind

I wasn't in bed even close to 24 hours and was sitting up as soon as I was stitched up.

This is about an hour after she was born.
10547663_10152688649782962_8661728743170671700_n.jpg

Both times the nurses gave me an entire body sponge bath (yuck!) and changed my pads.

I had two sections around 2pm and catheter was removed and I got up at 8am both times. If I had sections earlier I would have been up in the evening.

I wasn't allowed to sit straight up while in recovery as it can effect blood pressure. That was for an hour but I was fine to sit after I showed stable pressure.

i was the same with sitting up. I was kind of sitting in recovery but not properly. they still have to kind of laid so that your bp is stable. I was sat right up once back on the ward though and proceeded to profusely vomit. it took 3/4 injections to stop it... stupid midwife didnt believe me when i said i felt sick... she kept trying to get me to bf baby ... im very glad i put m foot down lol.. 5 sick hat things later i was better and could safely feed ds2. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->