Question on prepping to breastfeed

Shandelion

Reaction score
I'm only 4 months along with my first pregnancy. I fully intend to breastfeed, but the horror stories of pain and cracking until your nipples are used to it are terrifying me. Has anyone ever, before birthing, rubbed their nipples with their fingertips for a month or two to essentially chafe and callous them, so they're not unprepared? Would that make it harder to release the milk at all? Is there anything to do beforehand? And I keep reading about lanolin being a lifesaver but very expensive. Has anyone just used Bag Balm? Sorry if my questions are weird, I've never been around babies or even parents!

You don't need to chaff them, that sounds painful, just deal with it when the time comes. Lansinoh is definitely a godsend, it's not expensive, I bought two small tubes, cost me $20. Don't get scared by the stories, just research what to expect regarding baby feeding patterns in the early day, how you can cope etc. Just remember that the first months can be hard, but it'll get much better once you pull through, so persevere if it's what you really want to do.

I planning on bf too, expressing when i need to, like when i need to go out or for OH to give me a break. Ive watched videos on you tube about this to help as all my friends bottle fed theirs.

I wouldn't do anything to "prep" other than doing some reading to know what to expect. The lanolin is a lifesaver and I only ended up needing 1 tube, so $10. The beginning is usually rough, and unfortunately, most women I know quit during that first few weeks thinking it'll stay that hard or that they don't have enough milk. The most important things, I think, are to know to trust your body (and your baby's hunger cues) and know that it does get sooooooo much better. As far as the pain and cracking, I don't know if this is the norm, but as long as I kept the lanolin on them, mine healed quickly if that helps any.

i agree dont do anything befor hand... i never used anything on mine they never cracked or had any pain, a little uncomfertable at times due to latching wrong but that is it... good luck hope you have a wonderful breastfeeding exsperience

Only things to do beforehand, make sure you will have a Lactation Consultant to help you after the birth, and find a breastfeeding support group in your area. Mine has helped me so much!

Also take a class! I went to mine this past weekend and feel much more confident about it :)

My midwife told me to apply olive oil (other oils are good too) on nipples everyday after shower. I didn't get painful nipples, only my left one dried up a bit but it lasted only 1-2 days and I used lanolin (2 free samples). No horror stories thankfully!
Get educated, find a midwife or a LC that have experience, join breast feeding groups to see what breastfeeding looks like. If you baby gets a good latch from the beginning you'll be fine.

One think I read from an LC that is pretty famous in my area is you can stop wearing a bra so the friction from your clothes will prepare your nipples, But I don't know how comfortable this is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->