question regarding breast feeding/constipation in babies

Louise

Proud mum to baby Nick
Reaction score
Nicky is constipated and I hear its normal if you bottle feed instead of breast feed.. well, first off, he hasnt been for a poo since yesterday, so do I call the midwife now or wait til she comes tomorrow, I mean, is this like a major thing? (as I have no idead) he pooped alot when he came home from hospital but hasnt been at all today, and because of this I decided to try breast feeding- which brings me onto another question; how do I know if Im feeding him for long enough and how do I know he is eatin enough? plus, as I only just started BF-ding, do I still give him a bottle tonight or is it bad to mix?

Any advice would be fab. Thanks girls. x

Hi Louise

I don't know about the constipation sorry.

Regarding breastfeeding, let Nicky suckle away until he comes off of his own accord or until he falls asleep. How much milk had he been taking from a bottle? He's only a few days old so I don't think you'd need to top him up if you're milk has come in now.

If you let him suckle away he'll increase your milk supply to meet all his demands

Thanks for replying.
I was giving him feeds every 4 hours, sometimes he would have a full 3oz. others would be 2- then bearly even an ounce, so he's kinda all over the place at the mo.
Kinda worried about the constipation thing, but apparently its caused by the bottle, so Im not OVERLY concerned, its just the fact that he hasnt pooed today thats bothering me....

https://www.keepkidshealthy.com/newborn/newbornproblems/constipation.html

found this hun, id menion it to MW 2mo :D

https://www.keepkidshealthy.com/newborn/newbornproblems/constipation.html

found this hun, id menion it to MW 2mo :D
Ooooo, thank you. :) I feel better for reading that now...

He pee's like a trooper. He's weed 3 times in my face today- will I ever learn to hold that willy down lol. He's a bugger for it.. I guess that'll teach me for saying that I hope he pees in his fathers face. Oops.

Thanks again x

let us know how u get on hun :hugs: callum has never *touches wood* peed on anyone!!!!! hes peed against teh bath a few times but never on a person lol!

Louise if you want to breastfeed him then I suggest you speak to a breastfeeding counsellor and also your midwife to make sure you know if you're latching him on properly and to get some tips and support. As you haven't been breastfeeding then you'll need to do it as much as you can to build up your supply, so let him suckle whenever he wants which will be more than 4 hourly I'd imagine (Alex would feed every 2 hours). Try not to supplement with formula as he will get nipple confusion and also your supply will not meet demand.
Good luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"