Questions about new driver in uk

mylittlebubs

Reaction score
Hi, I'm here in uk for 6 months and I'm thinking about getting a cheap secondhand car while I'm here.
I have a Thai driving license and H said I can drive here for a year with that license.My questions are
- how much is the car insurance for first time driver in uk ?
- what else do I have to pay once I bought a car and how much do they cost approximately ?
- if I need to take a few driving lesson ( so I get used to the road and rules here ) , maybe 3-4 lessons ?
Thanks for all the answers :winkwink:

it's gonna cost you! running a car is not cheap in this country :( I'm simply a named driver on my Hubby's policy because I didn't pass my test til may 2012. that still costs us £30 a month. Driving instructors don't want you to have 3/4 lessons, they want good money out of you or its just not worth their time. Tax I don't know cos my hubby sorts it but petrol is extortionate and I feel like its all I ever do is fill up my car :(

Other than that our roads are pretty well maintained (I think so anyway lol).

I don't know if your licence is valid here, you could contact the DVLA and I'm sure they will tell you.

Cars can cost anything from a few hundred pounds to thousands depending on what you are looking for. Same with insurance, even a small, cheap, older car can cost over £1000 to insure for the year depending on your circumstances etc

The car will need to be taxed and pass an MOT every year, something to bear in mind if you are buying second hand and the car has no MOT, you don't know how much it will cost to get it road safe.

I'm sure you could take some kind of refresher course or similar but again I'm not sure on that.

Hope you enjoy your time in the UK!

Surely there's more to it than just buying a car, getting insurance etc. When I tried to get insured on my mums old fiesta while I was visiting her, her insurance wouldn't insure me as I am no longer a resident of the UK. I believe you have to reside there for at least 180 days before you are considered a resident. I wasn't able to get insurance here until I had been living here for so long. You can only imagine how much aggro it could cause - getting insured, having something happen, get your claim and go back home again - that's probably why it says you must be a UK resident when you apply.

Maybe a hire car would work out better?

Driving lessons about £20-£25 per lesson depending on area x

i would look at hiring a car...

buying one is soooo expensive! and like a pp said i doubt you will get insured if im honest :( xx

Does this mean you have your boy back?!?!?! So glad to hear you're in the UK!! xx

Don't think the license is valid here. My uncle has a Thai wife and although she has a Thai license she still can't drive here. Had to wait to become a citizen then redo her test- which I think is only just happened now (took a good 5 years!)

Thai licences are not valid in the uk, you will need to take a test here and get a uk licence. I think you need to be a permanent resident to be able to do that.

When I moved to the UK, the car insurance cost my OH £1000+ per year more than what he was already paying. I have an Aussie licence so didn't need to take a test, I just got an international drivers licence that cost a small amount.
Also cars are insanely cheap in the UK!! Compared to here anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->