Questions about washing muslin nappies and BG Flips

Misskitty

Reaction score
I'm planning on using muslins to start with until baby is big enough to fill the flips properly, but i just need some advice on pre-washing and then general washing.

FLIPS :I've been told i need to wash the flip wraps 5-7 times before use to make them colourfast (this was from the BG people), but they didn't mention about what to do with the inserts in terms of pre-washing. Does anyone know?

MUSLINS: Will just one pre-wash do for these??

General washing: Am i right in thinking that you generally wash the used nappies twice? A rinse to get the worst off, and then a proper wash with detergent?

Sorry if these are really dippy questions!:dohh:

Flip covers - I stuck mine in with a dark normal wash the first time, then after that there was no problems/colour run incidents when in with the rest of my nappies. :) I only have Ribbit, though, the other colours might be more troublesome? Inserts - don't know about the organic inserts, but the stay-dry ones just need one pre-wash.

muslins - hmmm. I never used them as nappies but I use them for all sorts of other stuff, wiping sick, mopping spills, etc. mine have been washed a million times and they've got really absorbant. I'd probably do 2 or 3 pre-washes if I was washing new ones for use as a nappy.

general washing - everyone does it different, but that's what I do: cold rinse cycle first and then normal wash (I do 60C with 1tbsp Bold 2 in 1 powder at the moment)

FLIPS :I've been told i need to wash the flip wraps 5-7 times before use to make them colourfast (this was from the BG people), but they didn't mention about what to do with the inserts in terms of pre-washing. Does anyone know?

id say deffo prewash as many times as you can, some things take up to 10 washes to get up to full absorbancy, if you dont want to wash clean nappies you can leave them in a bucket of water to soak for a few days, i do this with a lot of my nappies and they get up to absorbancy quickly with little waste :)

stay dry inserts dont need more than one prewash as far as i know as they are microfibre

MUSLINS: Will just one pre-wash do for these??

same goes for muslins, its all the natural materials that need prewashing so id soak them aswell

General washing: Am i right in thinking that you generally wash the used nappies twice? A rinse to get the worst off, and then a proper wash with detergent?

i do a rinse/spin to get the yuckiness off, then a 60wash with half the amount of bold 2in1 powder suggested for heavy soil and soft water, then another rinse/spin to make sure all the detergent is gone

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->