• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Questions for those who are pumping

JumpingIn

Mummy+TTC#2
Reaction score
How old is your baby?
Are you infrequently, frequently or exclusively pumping?
How often do you pump?
How much do you express each time?
How long do you tend to pump for at each sitting?
What pattern of expression do you do? 10 mins swapping boobs? Longer sessions on a single boob?
How long do you keep ebm at room temperature?
Do you sterilise your pump bits every time?

:thumbup:

He is 2 months as of today.
I pump 4-5 nights a week. I work from 6pm- 1am and pump at 730 because by then one breast is usually pretty full and pump to make them feel even so when I pump again at 10-1030 I just pump both at the same time then I pump once more at 1230 before I go home
I get about 2-3 oz from each breast every time I pump. And usually end up with 12-14 oz by the time I go home. I keep it in the fridge while I'm at work and then freeze when I get home
He only drinks about 3-4 oz while I'm gone but I also feed right before I leave and usually he wakes up right after I get home to eat as well.
I pump for maybe 5 minutes before I'm done. I produce much more than he actually eats so I try not to pump till I'm empty just till they are soft.
I don't sterilize after every use though I do rinse with hot water
I sterilize once a day though when I use the pump
also when I unfreeze the BM it stays in the fridge till its heated and once heated it stays room temp for about 5 hours but usually he will have it before then as we only heat up 2 oz at a time because that's all he eats if he even eats the whole thing. They say 6-8 hours but I live in vegas and my house is warmer than most people's so I don't try to test the limits :haha:
hope that answered your questions!

My baby is 2 months.
I'm pumping frequently, maybe 4-6 (or more) per day. I don't work but I have more milk than she can manage. Also, she is currently on a partial nursing strike and I deal with mastitis. If I don't empty my breasts in 4-5 hours (nursing or pumping), they get quite full and painful.
I express somewhere around 100 ml per breast, less in the evening and maybe a bit more at night. I pump around 5-10 minutes, but my milk usually comes fast.
I keep milk at room temperature only 3 hours - we have no AC and its hot now. I wash pump bits with u scented disqashing liquid after each use and sterilize once daily.
Hope it helps :)

DD is nearly 9 months.
She can't latch due to posterior tongue tie so I've always pumped. I don't have a full supply though, so we top up with formula.
I pump 4x per day for 30 minutes each time.
I can get up to 4-5oz from one boob and 2oz from the other in the morning, then it drops to 2-3oz combined at each subsequent pump. I get 12oz per day or so.
I use a double electric when there's someone around to watch DD (she's obsessed with the tubing so has to be kept away from me while I'm pumping) and a single manual when I'm on my own with her as then I can walk around with it and start and stop quickly.
I tend to get the milk out of the fridge just after she's finished a bottle so it comes to room temperature slowly. It will sit for 3-4 hours.
I don't sterilise my pump bits every time, just give them a rinse in water and clean properly at the end of the day.

-My baby is 11 months.
-I've been pumping 5 days a week since he was 4 1/2 months old and I went back to work full time.
-I get in to work at 8:30 and stay until 4, so I usually pump at 10:30/11:00ish and 2 or 2:30. If I stay late for overtime, I do an extra pump on the way home sometimes. When he was younger, I would get an extra session in most days by pumping on the way home.
-My morning pumping session usually yields about 7-8 oz, and afternoon another 5 or 6. Up until he was 8 or 9 months, I'd pump 16-18 throughout the day.
-I take two half hour breaks, so with prep time and clean up, that leaves about 20 mins to pump during both sessions.
-I have a double electric, so I pump both at the same time.
-EBM usually goes right into the fridge or is stored in an insulated bag with coolers, but once in a while I forget. I've left milk at room temp for 8 hrs - I've read that it's fine at room temp up to 24 hrs actually, I just wouldn't want to freeze it or store it for later use in that case.
-I don't sterilize at every use. When I first started pumping, I would wash in soapy water after each use, then sterilize at home. I did that until at least 6 months, maybe longer. Now I rinse after each use and store the pump parts in the fridge while I'm at work, then just wash at home. I put the parts in the dishwasher on the sanitize cycle whenever we have a load to do (twice a week probably)

How old is your baby?
Are you infrequently, frequently or exclusively pumping?
How often do you pump?
How much do you express each time?
How long do you tend to pump for at each sitting?
What pattern of expression do you do? 10 mins swapping boobs? Longer sessions on a single boob?
How long do you keep ebm at room temperature?
Do you sterilise your pump bits every time?

:thumbup:

First baby:

-Frequent, full time work at 12 weeks
-3x a day during work days
-2.5-5 oz, depending on the age of the baby, the timing of pumping, and the number of let downs
-From let down until the milk stops flowing, sometimes from SECOND let down until the milk stops flowing. 15-25 minutes.
-Double. Has to be double for serious pumping.
-Long enough to get it to the fridge, since I will be freezing it. You don't get 6 hours at room temp and then 6 months in the freezer, if you use all your time at room temp, not so much time frozen...if that makes sense.
-No, kept in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator.

This baby:

-Very occasional, when engorged after nursing both kids, or when 2.5 year old is at grandma's and isn't there to nurse at his usual times and I'm engorged.
-Once a day, at most
-3-5oz
-From let down until the milk slows, but not stops. Not trying to empty breasts.
-Double as that is what I have, but sometimes I do single while DD nurses on the other side.
-Straight into the freezer.
-Yes only because it's less often than once a day.

My baby is 12 weeks.
I pump for day care and if my MIL wants to take care of him for an evening or overnight on the weekend.
Pump 2x per day at work
My goal is 16oz per day to ensue I cover his day care needs. It's often 10 oz first pump and 6oz second pump.
I pump 15-20 minutes each session, both breasts at once using a double electric.
I put the bottles in a cooler in my work fridge. If I'm at home, room temperature for up to 4 hours.
At work, I wipe the parts with pacifier wipes after each pump, then wash and sterilize when I'm home. If I'm pumping at home, I put the parts in the fridge after I pump - then wash/sterilize once per day.

How old is your baby? He is four and a half months.
Are you infrequently, frequently or exclusively pumping? Frequently. I do not make enough so I have to give him formula.
How often do you pump? Every three to four hours during the day.
How much do you express each time? Between one to three and a half ounces, depending on the time of day.
How long do you tend to pump for at each sitting? 25 to 33 minutes, depending on when the milk flow stops.
What pattern of expression do you do? 10 mins swapping boobs? Longer sessions on a single boob? I use a double electric pump.
How long do you keep ebm at room temperature? Only a few minutes. It goes straight in the refrigerator once I'm done.
Do you sterilise your pump bits every time? No. I never sterilize. I will store the parts in the fridge and wash them after two pumps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->