Quick question about baby number 2

Fallacy

Soon to be mum of 2!
Reaction score
So a lot of people know about my struggle with trying to breastfeed Micah. I had a c section and nursed him all day, with tons of skin to skin, pumped, took supplements, ate oatmeal, drank mothers tea, etc. But my supply wasn't ever "enough" and I suppose that is due to having to supplement early on.

For the baby that is coming, I want to try again and hopefully avoid needing to supplement at all. My milk didn't come in until day 7 - something everyone told me was abnormal. Especially because of how often he nursed and for how long. Latch was good as well. Because of the late milk, he lost too much weight and I was advised to supplement. I'd always do breast first and then supplement, but it got to the point where he'd refuse the breast in favor of the bottle. :nope:

My question is, will my milk come in late again most likely? I'm going to have to have another c section. :nope: And if so, is there any way to prevent the supplements becoming such a problem?

In your third tri keep an eye out for your colostrum coming through and see if you can express and freeze it in advance for your new LO.

Also look into SNS (supplemental nursing system) if you are worried about supply and bottle preference in case your supply is late. Medela do one I think, but plenty of ppl make their own. Book in with a LC (or email one) to chat about what is safe for you to drink/take to boost your supply while you are still pregnant.

If you supplement with a bottle get someone else to do a few to ensure you are getting some rest. With my first I was surprised at how much better my milk supply would become after a decent nap or time to myself. The effect would last for days. Use a teat that requires baby to work for the milk, breastflow/medela calma.

7 days seems unusually late but I wouldn't have said abnormal given you had a c-section. Your body needed some time to recover and be the priority!

I hope something works for you:flower:

Thank you. :) I plan to definitely speak with a LC as soon as I can - I want support from the start this time! And I think that was a major issue last time. I didn't get enough sleep almost ever, which obviously doesn't help when your supply is already low.

It must be difficult if you're having a c section but I would try and have skin to skin and get them feeding ASAP after they're born. Make sure you're resting lots and drinking and eating plenty. And like a pp said talking to a Lc. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->