Quick question about new kittens

emyandpotato

Reaction score
First off before anyone goes mad about my cat having kittens... we thought she was a boy! And she/he was a house cat until we had to move in with my parents, to whom the prospect of keeping a back door closed is unthinkable. We will get her spayed as soon as the babies are weaned. So anyway...

We have a litter of three kittens. They're four weeks old. They sometimes show an interest in their mum's food but she bats them away. They're still feeding from Godzilla. They're playful and inquisitive and run around and climb quite a lot, though they're not social with us yet. Thing is, we've set up a litter tray for them, but they won't use it. I've never seen them using Godzilla's tray either, nor have I seen her showing them how to use the tray. I haven't found them using anywhere else in the room to go to the toilet, so what are they doing?! I don't know whether to litter train them myself or just leave them to it. Any one any experience with kittens?

(P.S. if anyone would like one please let me know! They need good homes.)

sounds silly but it's the same as dogs :), show them where to go teach them, wherever they go to the toilet pick them up and put them in the litter tray :) would love to see pictures if you have any :)

Kittens are nothing like puppies and do not need to be litter trained at all, so long as they are left with mum long enough she will teach them everything they need to know, litter training, not the scratch/bite etc. You say you aren't finding any pee/poop around so mum must still be stimulating them and cleaning them up. They should beging litter traing at 5/6 weeks of age but as above mum will do this.

If they are interested in food then start offering them some wet kitten food but I'd add a little boiling water and smush it up a lot so it's easier for them to eat.

Also you'll read a lot of incorrect advice about the age to leave mum, ideally they should be a minimum of 12 weeks before they go to there new homes. A lot of people rehome kittens at 6/8 weeks, this can lead to a lot of behavioural problems later in life for them.

Any more questions let me know!

Also pictures of the kitty's please :)

At the moment i imagine mum's takin care of it and cleaning them up :) as PP said tho they don't need training as they will pick it up themselves either by mum showing them or by following suit.

Wish i could have one but already got two cats!!

xo

This is Sheldon, he's mostly black with white tummy and white socks. Hopefully we're keeping him. They're all long haired and black and white like their mummy.

Screen Shot 2013-08-30 at 16.01.35.png

Sheldon and my parents' dog Toby, I'm trying to get them used to each other and so far so good.

Screen Shot 2013-08-30 at 16.02.02.jpg

Ryuk sleeping. The only girl of the litter. My sister named her this, I'm not sure why. She has the colouring of her mummy and is very sweet.

IMG_2512.jpg

Bear, another little boy. He's mostly white with black dapples. He's quite timid but still lovely.

IMG_2513.jpg

Bear and Sheldon playing.

IMG_2508.jpg

Sorry, it's really hard to get good photos of kittens, they don't wanna stay still!

Well Bear and Ryuk will need homes in a month or two so if anyone seriously would like one you'd be very welcome!

Is the box low enough? And make sure it is a NON SCOOPABLE litter. Regular cat litter only as they can play/gnaw the litter. I assume Mom is still cleaning them/swallowing the pee/poop. I know:p I had a mom cat go 12 weeks cleaning the kittens at times and she nursed 16 weeks. I had her spayed DAYS after litter was born as there was some issues with retained products. She was a rescue from an apartment complex.

Nothing against your situation but PLEASE know a cat can go back into heat before babies are weaned and be pregnant again as soon as they deliver.

So wish I could take a kitty but OH is allergic, they are sooooo cute!!

Allergies suck! Have 8 cats 2 dogs and allergies:( The mostly vinyl stick on tile has GREATLY helped keep them at bay

Wow no I didn't know that at all, I keep reading they can't be spayed til after the kittens are weaned?!

depends on vet. I had 2 moms(both rescues) one got done when kittens were 6 ish weeks along with both litter and the other was done days after delivering. In us there is a huge push to do them ASAP as SO many so it is quite easy to find a vet willing to do them young. 2 lbs is usually the minimum requirment by me.

Even after spaying they will nurse if it was done well. I would look around and see what is the minimum age by you. Tell them she is at risk of going out if that is the case.

The artificial light/heat/ac does factor into this too. They go into heat younger when it is ideal vs if they were on own living outside 24/7. I know the one cat went back into heat around 4 weeks after delivering(that was her 2nd litter). The other cat was already spayed so no heat. It was her 2nd or 3rd litter. Not to sure as she was already an adult.

Thanks! I will definitely look in to it ASAP. Gonna get the kitten we're keeping neutered as well but that can wait a while I think, he's too tiny at the moment.

A female CAN go into heat at 4 ish months and a boy will be able to mate aroudn same time/little later. Worth noting a sister and brother or mom and son can and WILL breed! They have NOTHING against that.

Oh no I know I just think that at four weeks it's not necessary, I don't wanna put him through that! Hopefully by four months we will have rehomed the other two kitties.

Not at all just a heads up as some reading may not know siblings of son will breed. And after male is done if there are female he can still have active sperm left for up to a month. for a kitten it should be shorter but just in case he is the oddball.

Good luck would be nice if someone could take a pair. They are so darn goofy!

Yeah it would be lovely! I feel awful separating them, would keep them all if we could afford it :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->