Rachel Maureen, 4th March 2010

WTTMommy

Mama to Rach
Reaction score
Rachel is already 1 week old! I'd better write our birth story down before I forget it. This has been the fastest 7 days of my life! :shock:

2nd March - 7 days late

We met my dr at the hospital for a non stress test. Everything looked good and I asked if I could be induced on Thursday, dr said yes. Induction was booked for 8 am 4th March.

4th March - 9 days late

8 am we show up at the hospital. We stop on the main floor to register. The lady at the desk says she doesn't have us in for an induction today. :growlmad: She called up to labour and delivery and they said to send me up. We went to the front desk on the l&d floor and the nurse tells us again that we're not booked in for an induction today!! :hissy: I was fuming by this point. She asked who my dr was, I told her Dr. C. She said Dr. C isn't working today. I told her I knew that! :roll: Then my Dr. walks out of the back room and is going off shift. The nurse asked again who my Dr. was, I pointed straight at her and said she's right THERE. She could have walked back and double checked with her but instead (with an ugly attitude :roll:) she decided to admit me.

We got comfortable, ate the breakfast we picked up on the way, and waited. At 10:30 am the dr. came in and explained what was going to happen. If my cervix wasn't ready, she would insert a dose of prostaglandin gel and send me home. If she could, she would break my water. I was surprised to find out I was 1 cm dilated and she went ahead and broke my water. It was painless and I felt an instant warm gush. Very odd feeling. I found out later that she had pooped inside. My dr. and nurse didn't mention it at the time... they didn't really seem concerned. :shrug: I saw it when I went to use the bathroom and asked my nurse why my water was green. :shock: She said it meant we'd have a few extra ppl in my room after delivery to make sure she's fine.

At 11:30 am my nursed started the pitocin drip.The cramps started coming slowly. It got more and more uncomfortable. Every 30 min my nurse came in and upped the pitocin. I dreaded seeing her as I knew when she came in that she would increase the dosage. By 1:30 pm it got really bad. I asked the nurse about the epidural and she said I could get it any time I wanted. I told her I would be getting it but it was just a matter of time. We continued small chat. I really loved my nurse, it felt like I was just chatting away with a long time friend.

At around 3 pm I was 4 cm dilated and the pain by this point was unbearable. I asked for the epidural and luckily the anesthetist was in my room within minutes. I was terrified of the needles but I tried to stay still. The hardest part was staying during the contractions... I was panting and sweating and trying so hard not to move. I jumped a little when the first needle was inserted. The anesthetist wasn't too happy with me. :blush: I apologized and she said "Don't apologize to me, I'm not the one who will have headaches for a week." :shock: :roll: Umm thanks? :dohh: It was over in about 5-10 minutes and within 20 minutes I was numb. I didn't feel a single contraction during the rest of my labour. I loved it. :rofl:

2 hrs later I was checked and was 6.5 cm dilated.

45 min later I was feeling intense pressure in my bum. My nurse took one look at me and knew it was the head getting ready to come down. She checked me and I was 9.5 cm dilated. Now it really started to hurt. I was trying not to make any noise but my goodness it was bad. I kept asking why it was hurting if I had had the epidural. :rofl: It only got worse. 15 min later I was full dilated.

Now my dr. wasn't expecting me to progress so quickly so of course she's in a c section when I get the urge to push. :dohh: My nurse begged me not to push and said the dr. would be out of surgery shortly. Shortly after that they said we could start pushing. My dr. still wasn't in but my nurse and a student midwife helped me start off. This was so pianful. My nurse told me most women find it relieving, but I wanted the baby to turn around and head back inside. :lol: I underestimated how difficult the pushing stage would be. DH was the best help. He was so supportive and took direction very well.

The next 10 minutes went by so quickly. All I remember is my dr. running in, she made a joke about how quickly my labour progressed, and 2 or 3 pushes later my baby's head was out. I knew exactly when her head came out... it felt so weird. I remember asking if that was the head that just came out and seconds later her body just plopped out. DH cut the cord and she was placed on my stomach for a few seconds and was cleaned of. I cried and cried and cried. It was the most amazing feeling ever. I could not believe I had done it. Rachel was born at 6:30 pm weighing in at 7 lbs 9 oz, measuring 21 in long. She scored a 9 on both apgars. I had a 2nd degree tear and getting stitched up felt like the longest 30 min of my life. All I wanted to do was hold my baby.

My recovery has been difficult, maybe even more difficult than my labour. I didn't anticipate the stitches to hurt so bad. Walking and sitting was horrible for the first 4 days. We struggled with feeding and it took a whole 4 days for my milk to come in. Thankfully feeding is going well now. Rachel has lost quite a bit of her birth weight but she's feeding now every 1.5-2.5 hrs for 30-40 min long. She also sleeps straight through between feeds so I've been lucky to catch a few naps in the day.

Here are a few pics of the wee one.

Attachments

• RachM2.png
    RachM2.png
    225.6 KB · Views: 34
  • RachM3.png
    RachM3.png
    154.5 KB · Views: 28
  • RachM4.png
    RachM4.png
    244.3 KB · Views: 36
She's so beautiful! What a princess! :cloud9:

And I totally believe you did it! I love how you described holding her the first time. You are a super mommy!! :happydance:

She's amazing, and you did so well hun! I am proud of you because I knew you were anxious about the whole thing. Sounds like it went just about perfectly! Hope you heal up quickly and that Rachel keeps up being a good girl! :D:hug:

Aww hunny, thanks for sharing that beautiful moment with us!! Iam so so happy for you!!! She is so beautiful just like her mama!!! Reading your story gets me so excited and kinda nervous about delivering now!! hahaha... I'm glad to hear that you and Rachel are doing good!!!! Love ya tons hun!!! xoxo

she is beautiful - you did such a great job! XOXO

Well done you!!! It does hurt doesn't it lol!! She is gorgeous! xx

Huge congrats, I hated the pushing too. I'd heard loads of people say it was meant to be a relief but I really struggled with it xx

Congrats! 7lb, 9oz was what Claire weighed as well. :cloud9: She's gorgeous!!!!

Congratulations! She is beautiful xx

She's absolutely beautiful. I'm so glad I found your birth story. Congrats! :hugs:

She is one of the best looking babies I have ever seen! She's gorgeous! Congrats!! :hugs: :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->