• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

RCT Council cut childs school down to 10hrs a week for 3yrs

welshsarah

Reaction score
Wanted views of parents in other parts of the country who dont have the free schooling for 3 yr olds like RCT in wales. The government is cutting funding to 10hrs a week and theres uproar! do you think this is right or should they keep free schooling for 3year olds?

Im taking this as meaning pre school hours have gone from 15 hour to 10?

I mean they used to get full time from 9-3 (3-4 yrs) and now the government has said they must only have 10hrs a week.

Its always been only 15 hours here. 9-3 to me seems excessive for 3-4 year olds.

The government cant afford to pay any more for this funding. so they have cut it down to be inline with the rest of wales

I'm from Wales but moved away when DS was 2, I thought 3 year olds always only got 10 hours in Wales? What's RCT?

I know some offer 10 hours a week but that includes school holidays

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-24524861

I'm sorry I'm really confused! I read the article, if it's bringing the area in line with the rest of Wales...good, don't see why one area needs to have better funding than anywhere else it's bad enough it's a postcode lottery between England and Wales but if it works out to be better to be in certain counties of Wales then that's silly, if it's good enough for the rest of Wales should be good enough for RCT. If it means their lack of funded makes it worse for the county than elsewhere then no that's not good, they're making a lot of cuts there, typical it's the usual services to be hit first.

I'm sorry I'm really confused! I read the article, if it's bringing the area in line with the rest of Wales...good, don't see why one area needs to have better funding than anywhere else it's bad enough it's a postcode lottery between England and Wales but if it works out to be better to be in certain counties of Wales then that's silly, if it's good enough for the rest of Wales should be good enough for RCT. If it means their lack of funded makes it worse for the county than elsewhere then no that's not good, they're making a lot of cuts there, typical it's the usual services to be hit first.

I completely agree! and im one of the ones being affected. I just got penalized on a facebook page for suggesting to the parents we could suggest to the council to join the schools up with a playgroup added option where people in work could still keep their jobs if they paid for extra sessions. And there was uproar and I was called a pessimist for not wanting my child (hes 3) to stay the full 6 hrs. Even through I pointed out in England they dont do this. And the reply is always we need it because we are a deprived area. Even through I pointed out they got to do some education themselves, for example its not hard reading to your child each night!!

I'm in cambs and we've only been offered 10 hrs a week... I think it's enough

I think funding should be the same everywhere.
It is not fair for one are to get more than another. Deprived or not deprived, everyone has a different family situation and it shouldn't matter where you live.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-24748077

There is a lot of evidence to show that children should start education later and 3 is ridiculously early, so I approve of the change.

There is a lot of evidence to show that children should start education later and 3 is ridiculously early, so I approve of the change.

Mine goes, I'm sort of bullied into it as he is suspected ASD and ADHD and need the school input as part of the assessment, but 100% agree, I've done lots of reading and some of the bets educated children country wise don't start school until 6/7 ... I do think it's not the best, children at that age are so vastly different in regards their abilities and learning styles that surely forcing them down a one size fits all route is not going to be an advantage to a lot of them. Certainly see it in my son where he is way ahead in some ways but way slow socially /interactive, as well as concentration etc.

I wish we had more say in their education, especially while they are so young, I know I could home educate but I wish their was a way of having best of both, part time school and part time home education until 7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->