Re-introducing breast milk at 18 mo?

WantsALittle1

Reaction score
DD never breastfed as she was a 31 weeker and completely rejected the breast her entire time in the NICU and after we brought her home. We worked with LCs and the NICU team but never succeeded in getting her to take the breast. I ended up pumping exclusively for 6 months at which point I battled a nasty clogged duct which never recovered. My left breast supply was destroyed, so I combine FF/pumped until 9 months when I got my BFP and my supply seemed to dry up overnight.

I am now 25 weeks along with baby #2, and am hoping hoping hoping that he will breastfeed. I have been toying around with the idea of pumping once daily after he's born to get about 5 oz and re-introducing DD to breastmilk in a sippy cup, etc., since she didn't get a full year of breastmilk antibodies, fats, and so forth.

Has anyone ever done this? If so, what were your experiences?

I give my 15 month old breast ill. I pump first thing in the morning.

Have you done it continuously, or did you stop and re-start again later?

Probably doesn't need it anymore if she eats well...

I don't have any experience on this specifically (although I was wondering if I could give my 2-year old pumped milk at some point) but with my first, it took me a LONG time (as in, DS was 5 - 6 months old) before I was able to pump 5 oz (and that always was used for DS, I had a low supply so I never had excess).

I don't know what's "normal" since I struggled with supply issues, but is it likely that you'd be able to pump that much when your baby is still so young?

I'd be interested in the answer as I'm hoping I won't have supply issues this time around!

ssjad: I was thinking that just having a sippy cup of it every day instead of cow's milk would give her some extra antibodies and helpful fats that she didn't get because I stopped pumping when she was 9 months old. We noticed when we transitioned her fully to formula at 9 months hat her weight gain slowed pretty drastically and now she's small--10th percentile.

Itsychick, it definitely took me a long time to get to the point that I could pump that much at one sitting--I'd say 6 weeks or so.

I guess my main concern in re-introducing her to it would be the taste--isn't it true that even for the same mom, breast milk tastes different between babies?

I don't see any harm in trying. She'll soon let you know if she doesn't like the taste (in which case, maybe you can add it to cereal?)...

My dd nursed until 17 months when we were abruptly cut off (car accident), my milk dried up until I went off the pain meds (about 4 months) then returned when I stopped taking them. She'd lost her suck swallow reflex but if she wants milk when no.2 comes along she'll have been off the breast for about 16 months and I'll let her nurse or have it in a cup. She was waaaay healthier when she was breastfed. Mommy milk antibodies are amazing at any age.

I could be wrong but everything I've been told says that after the first year the antibodies aren't the same? It wouldn't hurt her any, but she doesn't need it either- whole milk is fine along with the solids.

I think it could be wonderful for her. And if you pump 5 oz everyday your body will produce that much extra.

I'd go ahead and give it to her. If she doesn't like it, you could try mixing it into purees or smoothies (after the smoothie has been blended of course). Maybe she would like a boob-milk popsicle?

My eldest didn't have breast milk after a month old. When my youngest was born, I occasionally pumped, but she wouldn't take it. Bella was delighted to have it! She was 17 months when Lauren was born - she didn't have it every day, but probably a couple of times a week when L was tiny.

Thanks everyone! I think I'm gonna give it a try when LO is here and my supply is established!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->