Reading in school

pa2k84

Mummy to Lucas Richard
Reaction score
How often does your year 1 child read in school? My ds1 changes his book each time he finishes one but since starting in year 1 has only read in school 4 times. In reception was twice a week, seems such a change. Does this sound normal?

Twice a week and the book should be returned next day in addition to a library book of his choice every Tuesday either for him to read or for us to read for him (not logged in the reader notebook)

I think it varies. I've noticed if we read at home more they don't tend to bother reading with her in school (apart from group reading which they do in literacy every week). I think they try and read with her once a week, if we've not read every night at home that week, it'll be more.

DD brings a book home on a Friday with her homework to take back the following Friday. We read with her at home though too. She can't read properly yet though but she's getting there slowly.

Not enough imo -my dd is in year 2 but year 1 was the same. They do guided reading within school but she only brings home 1 book per week, if that!

Not enough imo -my dd is in year 2 but year 1 was the same. They do guided reading within school but she only brings home 1 book per week, if that!

Same they seem to do guided reading every day.

Our school allows parents so I go in once a week (as does my mum) and 2-3 other parents. This means we can read with everyone 1 to 2 times a week.

I think its a staffing issue of teaching assistants as in the afternoon they dont have one and the teacher cant do one to one reading. This means that the teacher will tell me someone needs moving up a level and I do the form filling.

Just checked his reading record and like your son it's been four times since the start of year one. (I think)
We read a lot at home though. There's a box with each level in for you to borrow.

Asked his teacher tonight at parents evening. Aparently the try twice a week but deff once a week. Did point out he had only read 4 times and she didn't seem to know what to say. Guessing he may read more now! Frustrating because I think he needs to move up a level but don't know unless reads to teacher!

We don't even have a reading log in year one so I have no idea how often they read with them. DD is meant to change her book every time she finishes it, but she constantly forgets, so we end up with the same one for ages. We have had the current one well over a week.

With the moving up s level maybe write that in his record - I know our teacher likes feedback from parents (if I spot it when reading I tell her) she then reads with them toconfirm

With the moving up s level maybe write that in his record - I know our teacher likes feedback from parents (if I spot it when reading I tell her) she then reads with them toconfirm

I do the same, Omar was given red band books like his peers in class, I wrote a note asking for assessment (and to look for his last year record), now he's given books band 5 and he reads them fluently. After a week or 2 I will request them to move him up after assessment. He is almost done with the whole chip & kipper books in band 5 as he started with them last year.

It's not only reading the books, I follow the reading guidelines and discussions, they assess based on that as well as reading confidently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->