Reading series to buy for reception child

Librastar2828

Reaction score
Wanting to buy my DS some books to help him with his reading. He is in reception and 4 years old.

Currently he can decode simple words like Cat, dog, pen, net, frog ect but struggles with the tricky words and any words with two letter for sound like ai in Train or igh in night ect..

I think they use biff chip and kipper at his school but not sure these would get a bit boring being stories about the same family. Have also seen the Julia Donaldson songbirds series and wondered if these are any good or very different or similar.

Also what levels would be need. Nothing too simple he could decide the whole book but somehow easy enough he can do the majority of it so he feels he is getting somewhere to encourage him to carry on

I was going to suggest biff, chip and kipper books my LO reads them at school and loves them and I read them when I was at school, I can honestly say I never got bored of them but I love reading.

I'm sure there are other books I looked at dr suess books they have different reading levels too and my LO enjoys the one she has

They use the biff chip and kipper books at ds school and we also have them at home. Each one has been read a squall ion times and he still loves them.
For his birthday iv got him dc phonics books. The stories are longer with more words per page. I know he is going to love them. It's batman , superman, the flash etc. I think it's a set of 10 for £6 from scholastic you also get two work books in the pack.

They use the biff chip and kipper books at ds school and we also have them at home. Each one has been read a squall ion times and he still loves them.
For his birthday iv got him dc phonics books. The stories are longer with more words per page. I know he is going to love them. It's batman , superman, the flash etc. I think it's a set of 10 for £6 from scholastic you also get two work books in the pack.

I'll have to take a look at those my DS loves all that superhero malarkey. Thanks 👍🏼

We've just discovered Bug Club Comics Phonics by accident (DS found one in a charity shop and loved it!). I think phase 3 or 4 sounds about right.

We have Oxford Reading Tree - Songbirds Phonics for Jacob. They were about £16 for 36 books (Stage 1-4.)

At School, they have Biff & Kipper and also the Songbirds series.

We have the songbirds set as well - levels 1 and 2 and he is on the level 2 ones now so should last us The reception year. We also bought the DC super heroes set too - it's maybe level 3-4 so a bit advanced but k read them to him as bedtime stories and he loves them. He will love reading them!

Songbirds are good we have the series up to level 6. At school they use chip & kipper , Oxford tree classic tales (but those are for higher bands I think)

Dr suess level one are also good for early readers but they are a bit long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->