Reading

SpideyMom

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could offer any tips or advice on how to get my son to start reading? He is 6 now, in grade 1. He has to learn English and French as he is in French immersion class. I wrote a sheet up that has the French words on one side and English on the other. The teacher sent him home with a French book but it seems somewhat a little advanced.

I'm just not sure how to get him to start.

Thank you

Do ypu mean reading in French or English? Or both?

He'll have to learn both. I read to him. Earlier I made something like flash cards with common words on it in both languages. Is this a good approach or do you think it's too much with both languages? I know he'll have to know both, at home we speak English but the province we live in is basically you really need to know the French language, that's why we put him in immersion.

Getting kids to start reading is not easy in one language; starting in two at the same time is a bit of a challenge. I understand you speak French yourself. Are you from Canada?
It seems like it would be better to get your child to read in English first and leave French reading to the immersion class while do some fun activities with the kid at home in French so as to encourage and motivate him in general.
My son (8 y.o.) studies English and French at school (but they are not the community languages over here). I speak English to him at home part of the day and basically encourage his French (he reads his home assignment in French to me). His French teacher has proved excellent so I trust in him. rather than in myself here. But I do intend to get some interesting books in French to encouage my son to read more, though it's a bit of a problem in my country.
I can recommend a book, if you are interested in putting in more effort in your child's bilinguism. It's "7 Steps to Raising a Bilingual Child". It has a chapter on reading which you may find helpful.
You're doing the main thing though: reading out loud for your child. Hopefully it will kep him interested in reading in general and in reading in languages in particular!

Yes, I am from Canada. :) Thanks for the book, I will look it up.

I appreciate your response. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->