Reality TV Shows

Lightworker

Reaction score
Hi all.
Thought we could have a debate about reality TV shows, and their impact. I have to say first off, I am a HUUUUUUGGGGGGEEEE fan of Big Brother. I think maybe its because I am very analytical, and like to observe and analyze people's behaviour, their cause and effect etc. So in that respect, I do like some elements of reality shows.

I was wondering though, do you feel that they are abit (or alot) exploitative? In Big Brother for example, we see people going through various emotions, of varying intensity, all in the public eye, and the whole point of alot of these reality shows is to allow the public to judge people.

For some contestants, this can have a huge negative effect on their lives and they are scrutinized and condemned for doing things that are inherently human, and which we are all capable of doing. I know some contestants have to go for therapy and the like after leaving these shows as it posed such a huge negative effect on their well-being.

I know that they enter voluntarily, and for the most part, they know what they are letting themselves in for.

Anyway, I was just wondering what you thought about reality TV shows, and whether or not they are ethical..i.e. would we be better off without them, do they serve any real purpose, are they beneficial.

What do you think?

They generally annoy me lol, I like the idea behind big brother and the first & even second series were good, but now people go in seeking fame, they manipulate how things will pan out but putting in personalities that they know will clash, all in the name of viewer ratings, basically exploiting others for the sake of 'entertainment'

I know they apparently go through counselling and psychological testing, but I wonder just how detailed these tests are, just looking back at some of the past people that have gone in ........ like I said it is like they are being exploited :(

I dislike reality tv shows for a variety of reasons. Many of the disputes we see are often contrived by the producers/writers. This is especially evident after cast members of previous Real World seasons came out about their experiences on the show. Before the interview sessions, producers would suggest to them things like "When we interviewed Ann, she said that you were a bitch and that you were the one who took Steve's watch." Of course, Ann wouldn't have said anything like that, and might have been suggested something along similar lines of the other girl being interviewed. Similarly, the editing is done in such a way to give greater importance to certain events than was actually given by the participants. Not to say there weren't some bona fide fighting done on behalf of the Real World participants; I just think a lot of it was grossly exaggerated.

I'm not so naive to think that this isn't the way with all reality tv shows. The producers and writers of these shows aren't out to show the reality of the human experience; they want publicity, ratings, and money. I could also do without seeing the side of human nature these shows broadcast - infidelity, substance abuse, overall crassness.

Furthermore, I'm of the opinion that one should not air their dirty laundry out in public. But that's just me. :shrug:

I find that there are episodes of shows like Futurama with more character development than I've seen on most reality tv shows. :haha:

I watch some reality shows but am vaguely uncomfortable with them and do believe they can be exploitative, especially when someone is clearly not of sound mental health. I think the biggest problem I have is with young children on talent shows etc, I honestly think that is so wrong and would rather stick pins in my eyes than risk putting my children through public humiliation.

^^WSS. Toddlers & Tiaras, for example .. makes me want to cringe.

Thanks ladies. Incidentally, Aragorn, I think some US versions of UK shows are tailored more for the sake of marketability. I used to watch Wifeswap and they say that while the UK one is relatively "real", the US one isn't.

Yes I also don't like seeing children on reality shows, and even teenagers on X Factor, only because I think it is such a precarious time in your life, for the whole world to privy of your highs and lows is abit strange.

the one that sticks out in my mind is nikki graham in big brother, can they really say she was mentally/emotionally stable to be put in such an environment, and they 'played' with her mentally by messing with the air con and things knowing it made her freak out etc, thats just WRONG

American wife swap makes me laugh when they put at the end that many scenes are set up for entertainment value!

Toddlers & tiara's .... I can't even bring myself too watch after seeing a trailer

I hate reality TV shows like Big Brother, but i do enjoy the ones where maybe the people are trying to live in a different era, or country and you get to hear all about their experiences

I can not stand reality shows but mostly because of the hype afterwards when a random person suddenly becomes famous just for the sake of it and not for actualy doing anything worth while.
It makes me almost wish films like my little eye was real just to be rid of some of the people that go on these shows. :)

I have to say I actually enjoy reality TV because as harsh as it sounds I like to laugh at people making a dick of themselves, I try not to think to deep about it, if I started to think about that persons feelings then it wouldn't be entertainment anymore.

Such as a the minute the audition stages of X Factor are hilarious with the people who can't sing and I sit in the couch covering my eyes cringing for them, but these people go onto there knowing fully well that they can't sing purely to get on TV.

The more light reality TV I enjoy there are some that I don't agree with like a PP about Toddlers and Tiaras, mainly because I want to pinch most of their mothers in the face, there was a piece in the paper today from a mother from this program whos daughter is 4 and she had fake tan on, wore stick on boobs and a fake arse to give her the same silhouette as Dolly Parton, FOUR YEARS OLD FOR FUCK SAKE!!! This makes my blood boil and do not class that as entertainment!!

But yes as a general rule I do enjoy reality TV because I am a nosey bitch and this gives me an insight into other people lives (because mine is very boring :haha:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->