Really struggling with 'hard gumming' 6 month old

pinksmarties

Reaction score
I am really beginning to think about stopping as DS2 is really hurting me atm. He has been 'biting' down and yanking and head turning whilst trying ripping my nipple off. This has been going on for about 2 weeks and getting worse. Some feeds are okay but most end up like this after a few minutes. I know he probably has teething pain (no teeth at all just now and if anything like ds1 won't have till 14 months old!) but I can't be his teething toy!

I know DS1 went though a similar phase but it only lasted a few days.

Any words of advice as this evenings feed has left me in tears.

Are you sure he isn't super hungry? I think there's a growth spurt at 6 months.

Other than that. I've been told to unlatch and tell him no, and then try again. If he continues to do it, end the BF'ing session and try again in a few minutes. And do that over and over and over again. Fx that it works!!! Their jaws are strong!

I went through teeth and nursing issues with my first one. She got teeth at 5 months and I nursed her for two years! So we did get over it. The best is to unlatch and say no biting and take a break for even 1 min (if she is upset keep the break short- if not upset then maybe not really hungry etc so wait longer).

The trick to get them to unlatch quickly and i found pushing the back of the head towards you - so face into the boob when they bite! This causes them to open their mouth automatically to get air. You DO NOT do this long or as a punishment. Just to get them to open their mouth. They quickly learn not to bite. My daughter had 5 teeth at 6 months!

As she got older she would only bite if if she fell asleep at the boob and was teething- like from pain :( i had to make sure to unlatch when she started falling asleep.

I also used an amber teething necklace and hyland teething tablets with good success.

Thanks ladies

Mara -I have been unlatching him but as soon as he goes back on again he does the same. For some reason today hasn't been too bad.

AEmom - Wow 5 teeth at 6 months. If I thought his gumming was bad I bet actual biting must be worse. I think you may be right about him not being too hungry. I had been feeding him every 2 hours but think he could maybe go longer now but I am so used to the routine I do it automatically.

I can totally relate to this :( DD is 1 with 7 teeth, and she's been biting me hard! Its making me want to wean. I've got no advice, but if I find something I'll let you know! I feel for you mama!

I find unlatching by bringing face in towards boob helps or i quickly wedge my little finger between her gums. I've gone back to using lansinoh sometimes because I get sore. It does seem to come and go though.

Thanks all. He seems to have settled a bit the last couple of days. I have actually tried extending the times between feed as I think he maybe wasn't hungry enough and was 'playing' so maybe that helped, IDK?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->