Recommend me a home dye please!

Pearls18

Reaction score
I haven't dyed my hair for quite a while, I am getting my hair cut soon but with a newborn and BF can't be away for so long as to get it dyed as well, I also like something low maintenance I can re do myself regularly. I usually use john Freida mousse as it's easy to put on and not at all patchy, but I'm bored of the shades.

What dyes do you use that go on easily, aren't patchy and have good colour choices??

I was going to recommend the John Frieda mouse as its the best one I've found. I use Nice and Easy as well sometimes. That is a very close second!

Depends what sort of colour you want. Lush do lovely henna/indigo based dyes if you want a glossy reddy-brown without any nasties. Nice n' Easy always seems to keep my hair in good condition, but if you have a local Sallys the staff are generally awesome at giving advice if you want to take home a salon colour (once you know what you need, it is literally as easy as any at-home dye - and they should be able to provide you a book of samples to look through).

To be fair, even as an ex professional I still rate the mousse dyes for ease. They seem to really distribute easier at better than cream dyes.

At the moment I use L'Oreal Excellence Mousse. I stocked up when they were in a Discount shop for 3 for £10.

I've gone for a red colour. It goes on really easy and not patchy. Also easy to remove from skin (I always manage to dye my ears, neck & hairline...even if I put Vaseline on them).

I have bright red hair so no box colour will match it so I get loreal majicontrast from Amazon (you can also buy it in Sally's). I have also used loreal hicolor in red. They do loads of other nice shades, not just the bright ones.

Last box colour I used what nice and easy but that was ages ago. It was okay but made one hell of a mess with it.

I wouldnt recommend majicontrast or hicolour for top ups though, just virgin hair/roots. That stuff practically bleaches your hair every single time, best to top up with non peroxide red. My friend wouldnt listen and used it full head every few weeks and her hair is horrific now. The more you use these high lift colours, the more your hair gets trashed and the more often you have to top it up. Eventually your hair wont even take colour.

I wouldnt recommend majicontrast or hicolour for top ups though, just virgin hair/roots. That stuff practically bleaches your hair every single time, best to top up with non peroxide red. My friend wouldnt listen and used it full head every few weeks and her hair is horrific now. The more you use these high lift colours, the more your hair gets trashed and the more often you have to top it up. Eventually your hair wont even take colour.

What do you recommend? I heard manic panic is good but there's so many reds I don't know which one would go with the red I have.

Yep I would go with manic panic, directions or special effects. SFX are out of stock over the world though :( Do you use the magenta red or the red red ?(fades more orangey red than pink red)

Its a bit back to front, but semi reds are actually longer lasting than permanent if you get the right brand. x

The last thing I used was majicontrast in just red, and before that loreal hicolor in red (well they say "rot" on the box which translates to just red).

I looked on Amazon for manic panic and there's so many different reds that I don't know what would go with my red. It seems pillarbox red may be the closest?

Yes i was thinking that shade too, or vampire red. I have just seen someone online with maji and vampire red.

Ah right will try pillarbox first, seems more my shade.

I need to do my roots again sometime soon, would I do my roots first with majicontrast and then manic panic on the old stuff or the other way round? I'm so useless with my roots I end up getting it everywhere its not meant to be xD

Ah right will try pillarbox first, seems more my shade.

I need to do my roots again sometime soon, would I do my roots first with majicontrast and then manic panic on the old stuff or the other way round? I'm so useless with my roots I end up getting it everywhere its not meant to be xD

Yep do the roots with MC then put the manic panic on top. You can use MP right away, or you could wait a week or two. Up to you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->