Recommendations for 'normal' porrige

Mervs Mum

Doula & Mum of 3!
Reaction score
Anyone recommend a normal porridge that would be suitable for Heebs? Or are there any I must avoid?

She mainly has the Hipp Creamy stuff at the moment but she wolfs a jar down and would eat more no probs so I end up giving her a petit filous (sp) as well. I also give her Plum porrige mixed with a reduced sugar rusk and milk or with a bit of brown sugar so I can make a bigger amount but even that seems a bit of a faff and not very appealing - it's proper 1st weaning 4month old stuff. I prefer organic if poss.

Any ideas?? :D

We used to give Seth ready brek :)

xxx

We use the organix one but thats not really any diff from the plum one

Yeah......I think it's just a bit 'smooth' now IYKWIM. Trying to keep up a good pace with the textures and lumps before she gets too set in her ways! :lol:

At that age I gave my baby share of my porridge; I use tesco value porridge oats and make it up with whole milk and cook in the microwave. I imagine you can get organic porridge oats these days.

Poppy has Ready Brek too, usually with some slices of banana or pear in so she is getting lumps as well xx

we tried weetabix for the first time on sat morning mixed with formula. just 1/2 a piece with 2oz of hot milk - she loved it! and its lumpy too! we normally have peach "yoghurt", which is really cereal or baby porridge. have you tried the packets rather than the jars, you can make them up thicker!

also, have you looked at the ingredients in petit filous? i was really shocked when i looked earlier! we're trying yoghurt for the first time this week and i got the little stars from muller, they're all natural ingredients and its all really simple xx

Thanks Alice. We have got the Little Stars now too. I was using the Petit's more for the size of them but she needs 2 now so once they are gone we wont get anymore - I didnt read the ingredients though....:blush:

We used the heinz and cow and gate breakfasts :) but they are quite expensive so started courtney on weetabix this morning it went down well this morning :)

I use just cheapie fromage frais from the supermarket...

was buying petit and little starts but its part of my cut back...!! Blimming credit crunch :rofl:

i wouldnt have looked in the ingredients if HV hadnt said anything! if katie doesnt eat all hers i'll eat it for her!! even tho i only like the strawberry ones!!

I buy oatmeal in bulk, just the regular quick oats or rolled oats, so no added salts or anything like that. Then sometimes I'll cook it in juice, gives lots of flavor and add diced up fruits into it for the boys, they love it.

Thanks honey!

I picked up a bag of organic oats and some dried apricots to chop and add to sweeten them. :D

When you say you cook them in juice - how does that work exactly?

Here's a good Annabel Karmel recipe:

My Favourite Porridge

I think you have to be careful about dried apricots though. I bought a big bag and then read that it's best to use the brown, unsulphurised ones :shrug:.

Yeah I will take like a cup (which would be way more than you would need cause that feeds all 3 of my pigs lol) but a cup of the oatmeal and 2 cups of juice...like a favorite of theirs is this 100% apple berry juice (has like a strawberry flavor mostly) I cook it til it's done then I chop up fresh strawberries and stir them in.

I've also done it cooked in 100% apple juice, always 2 liquid to 1 oatmeal, and I'll put a bit of cinnamon and then stir in some apple sauce at the end. Or even saute a bit of apples with cinnamon instead of putting the cinnamon in the oatmeal and chop those up really small and stir those into the oatmeal cooked with apple juice. I've tried all kinds of stuff with different varieties of juice and mostly fresh fruit though I'm sure dried fruit would be just as good I would just worry with her being so young still it might be a bit hard for her to chew so maybe let it soak in some juice or water to reconstitute so they aren't as chewy?

The juice does add some sugar, but I only use 100% juice so atleast it's natural sugars and that much cooked into it then split between them all really isn't bad

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->