Reduced movement, how long?

Brightxeyes

Reaction score
Over what kind of time period should I be checking for reduced movement? Over the whole day/24 hours? I have felt SOMETHING today but it's not as much, as he has been making it incredibly uncomfortable with his movement over the last few weeks, so it's noticeable in comparison.

I thought baby was a little quiet yesterday but I finally felt a good wriggle last night in bed, so I stopped worrying. Then a bit of one this morning, but not very much for the day today. I've felt some deeper kicks/nudges but nothing like belly surface kicks like I've had in the recent weeks.

He's generally been quite a violent wriggler recently, so much so my belly tightens when he's too over the top. He's woken me up kicking quite often.

I know he's generally more active on a night/evening, so I'm seeing if he perks up and has some really good regular movements over the next couple of hours while my partner is out.

If he hasn't had any noticeable movement by then I think I'm going to ask to get monitored.

My placenta is anterior, so I do sometimes get the odd day where there is less movement, but I usually get some significant movement to stop me from worrying. Just worried now that it's been slower during the day times two days in a row now. I was hoping after the wiggles last night he'd be more active today.

They like to make you worry don't they :(

I think its time to get checked out when you become concerned. Baby has changed his pattern and that needs to be looked at. Likely is all fine but call now, put your mind at rest x

Always go in and get checked out, the pattern has changed so it’s a good enough reason. My son stopped moving for 12 plus hours 12 or 13 times, they were sick of seeing us in the assessment unit but it’s worth it for the peace of mind.

I also had an anterior placenta, so I rarely felt or saw movement unless I was paying attention. I am a fan of always call. Usually, the nurses suggest doing a kick count. Drink ice cold water then lay down in a dark, silent room to do it. We get distracted by lights, sounds, tv in the background so isolating yourself and focusing in on those teeny, tiny movements is good. Every time I thought I was having reduced movement was just me not paying enough attention.

But I usually did end up going in to be monitored as well in cases where I felt it was reduced. It doesn’t hurt to always err on the side of caution.

When I called up about reduced movements it had only been over a 3 hour window since waking, but in that time DS is normally really active and despite breakfast and several cold glasses of orange juice I’d only had 5 or 6 kicks which is not much for him at all. They got me straight down and almost as soon as I arrived he started wiggling like mad! Nobody made me feel silly at all though and it’s well worth going for peace of mind. When I called they did ask if I’d tried lying down, cold drink etc.

I'm going to call up in the next hour and even if I do get a few movements I'll ask to be seen tonight. My partner will be back in a couple of hours but he's not heard his phone yet, plus my three year old is going to bed shortly and no ones available to come over.

I eat ice cubes a lot recently and he usually has a little dance if I eat a lot in one go but nothing really violent today :( Going to eat a whole glass full of ice to see if I get a significant reaction while I wait for partner to answer his phone!

Fingers crossed it's a mixture of position, he's sleepy, I've been too busy, and my anterior placenta!
I just felt some type of limb poke against my elbow thats resting on my bump as I type this, and I pressed it back and it hid away again. So it's reassuring there are SOME movements. As much as it's uncomfortable when he's pretty much trying to fight his way out of my stomach, it's always reassuring when he is so rough in there!

I'll keep you updated!

I called them despite him perking up quite a bit after food (for about ten-fifteen minutes), just about to leave, partner can't tell time apparently so had to wait for him.

They recommended a monitoring anyway seeing as he's been quiet during the day for a long period of time.

Sorry it was late by the time I got home! Typically he decided as soon as the monitor was put on he wanted to do backflips and all sorts so hes fine!
I'm still measuring a little small, but theres no concern as my last growth scan shows baby is measuring more than with the tape measurements anyway! I've felt him a lot more in the day today too, and he did his usual violent belly dance this morning so thankfully back to normal!

I had the same issue and told my NP about my concern, her 'rule of thumb' about it is that if baby doesn't move 10x, doesn't matter if it's big or small it counts; then in the following hour relax lay on left side and do a self monitor and count. If it's still not 10 or the need to be monitored doesn't subside; she says to go straight to the hospital. My LO had a day or two of low movement, but she actually did say that the room inside is getting tighter. He's quite larger then usual, so the alarm on his movements isn't as high, unless I haven't felt him at all. Sorry, for the long winded response, but hope I said something that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->