Reflux and Sandifer Syndrome?

YouandMe

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on Sandifer Syndrome?

My 6 week old was diagnosed with silent reflux and in my search to find help and answers I came across Sandifer Syndrome. I'm nervous my son might have it! I talked to the pediatrician and she told me she thought I had nothing to worry about because it peaks at 1 years old but if I was that upset to try and get a video of his actions and she could refer me to a neurologist...I'm so nervous.

From what I've read it's a result of the horrible pain he's feeling from the reflux. He has spent the last 6 weeks miserable, screaming almost 24/7. I've looked at videos of other children with Sandifer on youtube and he does some of those things like flailing his arms during or after a feeding, and does something that almost looks like he's stretching his arms up and back but his head kind of bobs with it. Apparently it's to get into a position that the acid won't hurt them in. But then why do I need a neurologist??? I'm so scared, first time Mom and just want to do right by my new baby! :cry:

I have no experience with this syndrome but i have plenty with severe reflux. My daughter was actually hospitalized at 1 month old from almost choking. The arm flailing and arching of back are standard with reflux and actually silent reflux is much more painful for them then if they projectile. Are you breastfeeding? If you are not and giving formula, your lo may have a cows milk intolerance that is making the reflux so severe.

Lots of hugs :hugs: Google is a dangerous thing, so I would stay away from it really. What you describe is really common with reflux - my daughter's wasn't as severe, but she still did that. From what you mentioned, it doesn't sound like the doc was recommending a neurologist - just that if you are very worried about it, she could refer. Her reflux got much better once we weaned.

Thank you for both your replies! I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back on here, just no time ever! I'm sure you understand. My baby boy was put on Zantac and it has helped him so much but I don't like the idea of him being on medication unless absolutely necessary. He doesn't flail and bob as much like he used to, but he still has episodes of severe pain. My midwife recommended I try a chiropractor, I've heard wonderful things about reflux and chiropractic work so I figured why not? Our first appointment was today, she pointed out many spots on my son that were swollen and contributing to his reflux. When she worked on him he INSTANTLY stopped his hysterical screaming and began cooing and smiling! It was like a miracle! We go back tomorrow to figure out everything that needs to be done but I am praying this helps him and we can chuck the Zantac! I'm so excited but trying not to get my hopes up too much just yet!

Thats great news! We were on th zantac for 9 months, i was so happy when we finally stopped!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->