reflux mommies question

nikkip19

expecting #1 :)
Reaction score
luca has bad reflux and we add rice cereal to his bottles per HV advice . he cant keep any thinner liquids down. im nervous about this because how do i start giving him water? or when hes one..regular milk? any experiance?:dohh:

Max is on really thick milk (almost like a paste) and has never been able to tolerate anything wetter so we're kind of going through this now.

I got him a special water bottle (it's a regular smaller bottle with a newborn teat) that I keep filled with water and after he's had solids or occasionally in between feeds I offer it to him. He's slowly getting used to the different bottle so he doesn't try to drink it like his milk and I only give it him when he's quiet and relaxed and not hungry so he doesn't try to guzzle it. He does still choke, and it nearly always comes back up, but i'm hoping that as his stomach matures and keeps his food down better naturally that the water will stay down too, and when that happens he'll already be used to the consistency. (at least that's the theory)

I'm just hoping that if it's something that's always there and offered to him that he'll start to get used to it. I already see an improvement in him after just a few weeks.

thanks so much for your reply! ill definantly try this out! i keep picturing myself making a sippy cup full of rice cereal and juice or milk when hes 2 years old. hopefully our little men outgrow this soon! i hate reflux!

Yah, Miss M is still on beginner nipples - we used to add rice cereal to her bottle to thicken it, but she suddenly stopped accepting that at 5 months, so we gave it to her after a bottle of regular formula and it worked the same. Now that we are full on weaning and she is on many different foods, I notice that her spitting up is better if I feed her right after her bottle - so I just do it all separately. She still does choke when feeding though, but since she has discovered sitting up as a new skill, she wants to practice it even during feeding - which helps her keep it all down. Oddly, things seem to be righting themselves as we get to the next developmental stage. I have faith that it will continue to do so!

Good luck!
A

Babies don't really need juice or water until after 7-ish months anyway since their kidneys are too immature to process it.
The best way to do it, I found, was to offer water or juice from a sippy cup. Around 7 months is the normal age to introduce a sippy, so you might aswell stick some water in :) :lol:
Hope the magical reflux fairy visits all you ladies with LO's with reflux sometime just after six months and make the reflux go away ;)

luca is 7 months now so looks like we will be attempting the sippy cup! wish us luck! thanks for all of your replies :)

ifit still happening dont worry they grow out of i at around 9 months old my little one hs onlyjust grown out of it and she is 8 months

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->