Relactating?

bumphope

Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice about relactating?

You might remember my story - I had a temp spike at the end of my labour, we transferred to hospital for antibiotics and baby had 5 days iv antibiotics. She was sleepy and never fed from me. I didn't ask for help quickly because I didn't know what feeding felt like, I was told if she'd given my boob some attention she had fed. She hadn't. I expressed for about 4 weeks as she would never suck on the boob, but had only half what she needed so topped up with formula. It got soul destroying so I dropped to expressing three times a day and supply obviously declined. I was expressing 3-4oz total per day, almost enough for one feed.

The other day I thought I'd try her on the boob on a bit of a whim. She went on like a pro!! So I've started putting her on the boob every feed, she does about 10 mins then starts wiggling (but very happy to stay on!) I've taken the wiggling to mean the boob is dry ??? Then I'm offering formula afterwards and she drinks almost a full feed from the bottle.

Am I right in thinking my supply will increase a bit just by doing what I'm doing? Or do I actively need to cut down the formula so she nurses more often and my supply increases?

I don't really feel the need to do 100% bf (it seems too big a task at the minute) but I'd obviously like her to have as much breast milk as possible - I just don't really know the right way to go about it.

Really appreciate your help.

X

I would definitely have her nurse as often as she is hungry. Supply and demand - the more she sucks the more you make.

I'd say if she is latching on comfortably you have every chance of combi feeding.

I would say leave her on a bit longer if she is happy to stay. Any time at the breast will stimulate supply, even if just comfort sucking.

Don't know if this helps https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basics/decrease-formula/

Thanks girls! I'll see how I go... Put her on 4 times yesterday, fed formula at 5am as she's so hungry when she wakes up she seems to find it hard to latch properly!

Any tips on feeding with nipple shields in public? Not sure how you do it without showing your boob to everyone?!

X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->