Requesting Delayed Cord Clamping - I'm worried no one will listen to me!

MoonLove

Reaction score
Hello ladies!

I'm 17 weeks pregnant with first babe (so a little while to go until baby is here!!) but this is something thats been on my mind recently, and i can't seem to find an answer to it.

I am determined that, if everything goes smoothly, i will delay the cord clamping until the cord stops pulsating. Well, i'm determined to SAY i want to delay the cord clamping, but i'm so worried that no one will listen to me!!

I wanted to ask my midwife about it last time i saw her, but she has made me feel so stupid so far in my previous appointments. She treats me like im a bit clueless and unaware of the fact theres actually a baby in my belly! :shrug: I didn't feel comfortable asking her, and i don't want it to be like that when it comes to the actual labour!!

I'm hoping to go as natural as possible with a hospital birth, and i really really want to delay the cord clamping. I have written it in my birth plan notes, but i don't know how common it actually is for hospitals to practise this. I feel they'll overlook it, and as i'll be so dazed right after baby pops out of me, that they'll just do the standard procedure of cutting the cord straight away!!

I told my husband to make sure to speak up if anything like this happens, but i wanted to ask you lovely ladies if you have had any experiences like this - maybe have given birth in hospital and been able to request this? :shrug:

Thanks ever so much! :flower:

I didn't want to read and run, but my only advice is to continually reiterate that you want to delay clamping and have your husband state the same as soon as you birth.

I'm not entirely sure what the practice will be in a hospital but that's what I did with my home-birth and what I'll be doing again this time (although I'm now toying with a lotus birth so that's going to be slightly more extreme haha)

I'm not sure where you are in the UK but delayed cord clamping is not that out of the ordinary these days TBH and so just that you have it on your birth plan and ensure that those caring for you read it on arrival, it really shouldnt be an issue. If it's something you are particularly concerned about I would get your birth partner to hand the plan to your MW when you arrive / they arrive and say something like 'Hi, these are our preferences for our baby's birth if you could please read them so you are familiar with what we are hoping for. One part that is very important to us it that the cord is not cut until it has finished pulsating so I thought I'd just highlight that to you. Thanks so much.'

You'll probably find if you are polite and reasonable then they will be too!

Also hon, remember (or your OH remember) to state what your choice is when ever you see a new MW.. Just incase there is a shift change and the message hasn't been passed on. But I don't know any MW who (even if they might not read your birth plan) wouldn't ask you what your birth plan is when they introduce themsleves.
It is your choice and and there responsibility to carry out your choice.. but it is your responsibility to make sure they are aware.
I would also be careful of the wording in your birth plan - I have seen far too many that say what they would prefer, and then say but it ould be ok if it was necessary. If you don't add in the necessary bit - they are going to have to ask you at the time, which they should be doing in anycase.
But I think adding in; baby to be delivered immediatly to mothers arms or on to your body - they can't get to baby to do it before-hand (the clamp is quite close to baby, prob about an inch at the most)
XxX

I wrote it in my birth plan with both my children. However we also had to remind the midwives at the time. With my daughter my hubby noticed them getting the clamping stuff ready and quickly jumped in. Discussing it with the midwives beforehand definitely sounds like a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->