Retroverted uterus?

Alexas Mommy

Reaction score
I just got back from my first prenatal appt, and the doctor mentioned that I have a retroverted uterus... Does anyone here have one, and has it caused any problems?

I don't (as far as I know!) but my mum does, she had all six of us with no issues whatsoever (she also has the double womb thing going on!) x

I don't (as far as I know!) but my mum does, she had all six of us with no issues whatsoever (she also has the double womb thing going on!) x

Thanks! What is a double womb??:blush: aside from the obvious I guess lol Two uteruses?

uterus didelphys is what it called , just means the uterus presents as a dual organ. You can google pictures there is lots of different ways it can present

Friend of mine has it and she has 4 kids , 3 were from her right uterus 1 from her left , it doesn't usually cause problems but you could potentially end up with a pregnancy in both uterus

I have one. it's not only tilted back but also tilted to the left.

It's not as common as one in the normal position, but it's not rare either. I think i read somewhere it occured in about 15% of the female population.

I was very freaked out in my second pregnancy bc my uterus didn't tip forward until about 19 weeks. I guess with a retroverterted uterus, there is a risk of the baby getting "stuck" or entrapted. BUT it almost NEVER happens bc as the baby grows, gravity and babys weight make it tilt forward (like everyone else). It happens by the 17th week (and apparently it can happen a little later depending on the mom and the baby, at least that was the case for me!)

basically all it boils down to is that it might take a little longer for you to hear a heartbeat, but otherwise it isn't typically of any concern :) i heard DS1 HB at 9 weeks (which is pretty normal, so guess i got lucky there), DS2 wasn't even for a couple of seconds until 14 weeks, and then we lost it again and couldn't find it until 17-18 weeks! This time we couldn't find it until 15 weeks. so it can take longer, but it doesn't have to. Just remember if they have trouble using doppler this could def be why so try not to freak thinking you are gonna lose the baby <3

I do! I had no idea until my first ultrasound. The tech let me know that it might make it harder to hear the heartbeat. She was right; at my 11 week appt., the nurse practitioner couldn't find the heartbeat with a doppler (I'm also overweight, so that has an effect on finding the heartbeat, too). She just sent me in for an ultrasound to check the heartbeat, which I really enjoyed, as I got to see our little one again, and he/she was so active! So it worked out fine.

From what I've been told, it should resolve itself as the baby grows. The only real possible issue is that it might lean on your urethra and make it impossible to urinate (can you imagine, considering how often we need to go?). If that occurs, my book says that the doctor can either manually manipulate the uterus to get it off the urethra, or they can catheterize you to let the urine out. However, I believe that's very rare.

So the only real thing to worry about is to let the doctor know, if he/she can't find the heartbeat, that you have a retrograde uterus, so they know why. :)

Thanks, everyone, I appreciate the information and reassurance!!!
:flower:

I have the opposite, mine is tilted forward! Apparently it can move so in future pregnancies it may be in a slightly different positions. But this is completely normal. At least this is what I was told at my first scan.

I thought forward tilted uterus were the 'standard' position :shrug:

Apparently not their supposed straight. At least thats what I was told!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->