• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rhesus Negative. Please reassure me.

Amy2701

Mummy of 2
Reaction score
I'm currently around 7 weeks pregnant with baby #3 and have blood type Rhesus Negative. During my pregnancy with #2 I had a fall and had to be given extra Anti-D injections at around 5/6 months. When my son was born he had a very mild case of rhesus disease and had to spend a few hours under the phototherapy lights. He wasn't kept in neonatal or anything like that and the yellow tinge had disappeared from his skin and eyes completely at around 5 days old.

I had my first doctors appointment with this pregnancy last week and the doctor briefly touched on the rhesus subject (I assumed the midwife will discuss it in more depth when I see her). She mentioned problems during and after pregnancy. Anyway I got home and googled it (I probably shouldn't have but I'm worried), and now my mind is in overdrive. Ive read that if my baby's blood type is positive it could be stillborn/brain damaged/need a blood transfusion straight away.

Has anyone had any experience with rhesus disease then gone on to have another healthy baby with positive blood?

Thanks in advance xx

Hi, I too am rhesus negative but it only causes problems if mine & babies blood cross & my blood builds up an antibody and attacks babies blood I have had anti-d after any bleeding or truama to bump to stop this happening.
Have you developed antibodies from your last pregnancy?

My daughter is positive - I am negative, after she was born I had an injection... My mum had a positive / negative / positive child. It's very common, they will check you for antibodies, chances are you won't have any and all it will mean is a jab at 28 weeks...

I totally understand after what happened with your son would make you concerned but as long as they KNOW you are rhesus negative and are on top of it I wouldn't worry.

Thanks ladies,

Mine and my sons bloods did mix during his birth, therefore my body will have built up antibodies. I'm seeing the midwife for the first time next week so I'm going to voice my concerns with her. My scan is 3 weeks away, once I've had that and seen that everything is okay I'll feel a bit better.
My other two children were positive, but the anti-d injections during pregnancy protected us both throughout the pregnancy. Apparently, because my body will have produced antibodies this time the anti-d injections may not be effective? I'm a bit clueless about all this.. My first two pregnancies were free from any complications. X

I found this for you:

https://www.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/The-Rh-Factor-How-It-Can-Affect-Your-Pregnancy#positive

The last point seems to address your question. IF you are still making antibodies your baby will be closely monitored and MIGHT need a blood transfusion.

I wouldn't cross that bridge until you find out what the score is on the antibodies. There are a few women on here who have had them and nothing has been required and they have had totally normal pregnancies and deliveries xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->